City Builder / Colony Manager General Discussion Thread

Depraved is out in full release. I mentioned it 10 posts before yours. Your point about lack of content still applies though. It’s a shame because the game had potential.

I’ve also mentioned Foundation in this thread before.

Do you have me on ignore? :)

Did someone hear a noise? Meh, must be nothing.

As I understand it, everything Frontier make these days uses their Cobra engine.

Does anyone hear anything?

Just kidding - I scrolled back a ways but didn’t see any mentions. I blame… advanced old age.

Also, Discord search really sucks - I searched for Foundation and got no hits that pertained to the game.

What’s unreal is Jurassic World Evolution was also done in the same engine, but it looks like a totally different engine as the graphics are wayyyyy better than Planet Coaster/Zoo.

Foundation seems to be ticking along nicely with each update, the developers are still expanding the game in early access with new content and features. Haven’t dived into it yet personally since waiting for the game to release out of early access, but from what videos I have seen and the update blogs I have read it certainly looks promising.

That’s great to hear. High hopes!

Whenever I’ve watched videos on Foundation they look great. But I see a number of negative reviews on Steam talking about when your city gets large that the commute time for people gets to be a severe limiting factor.

Now maybe that’s one of the game’s constraints (“figure out how to place your houses so people can get where they want to efficiently”) but if not, it seems there should be some way to decrease commute time (better roads? cart and horse? dunno).

At any rate, I’m still quite interested so it’s good to see that it’s progressing.

Is there a dynamic city/colony builder?

Some random thoughts:
How’s Aven Colony in this regard?
Frostpunk is more of a puzzle game.
Oxygen Not Included is a guesswork nightmare. I really loved the 20 hours I played but I felt I needed a guide to grasp even the simplest things. It was very intimidating after this cute looking game didn’t work the way I thought… at all.
I liked Anno 1800 a lot because - thanks to the opponents and pirates and all the stuff that’s going on - it’s quite unpredictable. But those elements are more like RTS stuff (be fast, be the first to be there… etc.). Waiting for more DLC/statistics building in december.

I’m missing what I remember from Sim City 2000/3000. Everything works great until it doesn’t due to a catastrophe. Maybe I’m remembering it wrong but it felt quite dynamic back then.

Prison Architect might be the game I enjoyed the most in the last five years. I just didn’t like the art style that much. It’s okay. But it’s also a bit dry.

So what I’m looking for is a builder that is unpredictable, has lots of stuff to discover and is very nice to look at. What’s the name of the game? ; )

Maybe Factorio?

Still waiting for 1.0. I know it’s in perfect shape and everything but…

SimCity Societies?

-Tom

It’s not the first time I see you recommending it. I’m curious. It was released in a year I barely played any video game. So it’s like it’s never really existed. Upon reading it seems everybody disdains it but you.
…but it’s a Tilted Mill game!
. . . but it’s 19,99 € and it’s not included in any EA subscription thing.
Mhm, I can’t even buy it on Ebay since I don’t own a DVD-drive anymore.

Why’d you say it is something special? (I might use the search function.)

Haha, cool : ) Thanks! Missed it.

Skylines is pretty dynamic in it’s modeling of population and traffic.

Here’s a whole game diary. Just linking it makes me want to jump back into SimCity Societies.

You can buy it directly on Origin, though. [Oops, that’s what you just wrote…]

Isn’t one of the issue in Skylines that there are no unexpected events? Once you get a profit going, you can set it up and let it run overnight, right? I haven’t played in a while, so I don’t know if that’s changed. And to be honest, that’s true of a lot of city builders.

-Tom

Surviving Mars is pretty good on the “dynamic” front. You have to explore a randomized landscape, deal with special story events that can really throw a wrench into things, get to choose what to research (form a randomized tech tree), and can pursue various missions with your extra money/personnel.

The core city building in Surviving Mars isn’t as solid as a Cities Skylines, but I thought it was still pretty good. I think whether you like it will hinge on whether you have fun with its particular brand of personnel and real estate management.

Skylines has things like natural disasters now doesn’t it?

Ah, right, they definitely added disasters. But are like SimCity, where they never happen until you plop them down because you feel like it? Or are they things that can actually happen without your input?

I’m guessing it’s a difficulty setting. I’m also guessing there’s zero ingame incentive to activate them. You know, I’mma go look for myself. Stand by…

EDIT: Yep, it’s a setting in the options menu, under gameplay. You can toggle randomly occurring natural disasters and move a slider to set frequency. And as near as I can tell, there is no gameplay incentive to do this. To me, this is a dumb way to do natural disasters. Unless that unpredictability is built into the design, I’m just going to chalk it up as yet another designer who expects me to “make my own fun”. Ugh.

-Tom