City Builder / Colony Manager General Discussion Thread

Yeah I disliked the space station dlc, it was too complex for me.

2070 has a special place in my heart as I just love the whole eco vs tycoon thing going on, then the tech faction and the undersea stuff. So good.

Once I have time I will get the 2nd season pass for 1800 and then just do a sandbox game with no other AI players, and make a beautiful city. :)

There’ no non-campaign mode, so for my purposes they forgot to include any mode I wanted to play. Pity, too, because I enjoyed 2070 and 2205 had looked interesting.

Agreed, I really like how they changed up the east/west or old world/new world formula with the pop types and undersea bases. I also liked the planes! (1800 has airships, but they’re really just fast boats that don’t have to go the long way around islands.)

My main complaint about 2070 is that everything seems to fall visually somewhere between blue and green, which is not a huge range to my poor eyes. And it wasn’t helped by a slight blur filter (or something) that maybe makes for good screenshots but had me repeatedly pausing to clean my glasses.

I really should try 2205 sometime. I hear that folks didn’t like it because they changed up the formula quite a bit, but we’ve got 1800 now for when I want the formula, so maybe variation would be good.

I knew this was the right thread to ask that question, thanks guys.

Well, it depends if you want to go with the majority or the correct side. :-)

Rob is gonna end up buying both anyway. He always gets the Anno games. ;)

The correct answer is Anno 1404. It’s always the correct answer. Already own it? Great! Instead of trying Anno XXXX=9, replay 1404!

I adore 1404, but there’s enough variation in the formula to make them all (with the possible exception of 2205) well worth playing.

Missed this earlier—I got it when it came out in EA originally, but it wasn’t done enough to really get its hooks into me. I like the foundations they’re laying, though.

I sure hope it turns out good as it has such a cool premise.

I actually do, that’s the one called Dawn of Discovery on Steam in North America, right? I’ve never played it, guess I should. I think the Epic sale is a full week so I guess it will be a good demo for the series. :D

make them all (with the possible exception of 2205) well worth playing

This makes me so sad because 2205 is (I am pretty sure) my favourite flavour of Anno. The different landscapes/moonscapes/space station, and the variety of supply shipping between the different maps kept me going a lot longer with a single playthrough than I typically do with Anno incarnations. Not a popular opinion I know, and the lack of replayability I am well onboard with, but to have the whole game be a single sandbox with many multiple maps was a refreshing choice. Easily the easiest to read statistical reporting of all the Anno games as well. 2205 is also well worth playing especially at the discount prices it can be bought for in frequent sales.

I also bought into the complete edition of 1800 with this epic sale, I already played a bunch in the two free trial periods to know this one has legs as well.

I wish that at some point they’d added custom game options to 2205. Every time I momentarily get tempted to play it I remember that I’d have no choice but to play the campaign and only the campaign and I lose all interest. It’s a terrible shame, there are clearly a lot of interesting things being done there and I’d have liked to have tried them, though I get the sense that many of those interesting ideas got put into 1800 which is awesome.

That’s correct. For some reason they thought us US folks were too innumerate to handle a game with a date for a title. Can’t imagine where they got that idea.

I certainly wouldn’t bet against it :-)

More seriously…it’s not like I didn’t enjoy playing it when I had free access. It’s just not a buy at full price consideration anymore. I may even pick it up at the $14 post Epic coupon price, who knows :-)

Wait wait wait I was under the impression that you should definitely buy the Complete package with this one, am I mistaken? I heard Mr. Pinard in one thread or another raving about the changes… Please reply, city builder folk

Also, it occurred to me that I don’t think I’ve played any single one of these (my bad). Although the thread from a couple of years back about “which Anno to start with” initially concluded with a preference for 1404 (aka DoD), later people trickled in to say that 1800 is probably the right one to start with now.

How about it? 1800 or 1404 for my first foray? Maybe I’ll add a poll to go with your comments.

• Anno 1800 is your beau
  • Anno 1404 is still number 1 for your number 1

0 voters

I don’t have a ton of hours in 1800, but I think there is more to it than 1404. I do think 1404 is the second best one though.

For a first Anno game 1800 may be a bit much, there are a ton of new systems plus all the old complexity. 1404 is wonderful and playing it will get you up to speed on things that will make your time with 1800 that much easier.

Good advice and I appreciate it, for me though keep in mind that I do not run away from complexity. I played dwarf fortress all the way back when it was super alpha (2D and there was always a mountain in the same place). :D

And no tilesets, obviously

I am not sure I could handle 1404 field placement anymore. Also I don’t think it had the option to pick up and move buildings.