City Builder / Colony Manager General Discussion Thread

I remember following development updates for it. This very clearly is a true labor of love, but it seems like the developer never found a way to give it interesting gameplay. Just watching characters endlessly shuffle around, doing nothing in particular.

Going Medieval has not been discussed here yet?

Is it s city builder though, or a survival game?.. or a sim game? Hrm…

Oh this is very much a CB/CM game. It’s a bit like a cross between original Age of Empires, and Rimworld. There’s a decent look at it linked below with the lead developer describing the major game play elements.
I’m looking forward to this one. Sounds like EA is not too far off.

Anybody played this? Looks kind of cool.

Here’s what I said about it…

Kind of surprised this hasn’t come up here yet. Dorfromantik (what a name) is out in EA now. I’ve played it for an hour or so so far. Don’t know about longevity but it’s like a peaceful one-player Carcasonne so far.

Edit: Weird, the Steam link is showing in preview but not when I post. Here’s a direct link.

Really enjoyed the demo of this and looking forward to see what the full thing adds

I immediately bought this, appreciate the link! Looks like a super relaxing, chill city builder.

Does it have golf as well?

A Rimworld Stardew Valley mix?

First Feudal is out of EA as of today. It looks interesting, but Steam reviews aren’t anything special. Anyone going to try it?

The A-Train games (classic and 9v4) go under $20 for Humble Choice subscribers. Not sure if i’ll get one but kinda tempted. Not sure I want to look at the graphics of classic, but up thread it’s mentioned it may be the easier one to jump into.

Understandable, the 2d sprite artstyle can take some adjusting to at first. Though, I honestly don’t mind it at the higher zoom levels where everything looks smooth and crisp at 1080p.

For someone who adored Transport Tycoon Deluxe (OpenTTD) and the Railroad Tycoon games, Classic has had me absolutely hooked. Sunken 100+ hours into A-Train PC Classic so far and still working my way through all the different scenarios available and then re-completing them at the hardest difficulty. Easy gives you a fair bit of latitude in each scenario to experiment, make a bunch of mistakes, and learn the scenario.

To then take that knowledge and efficiently smash out the same scenario on Hard difficulty feels fairly rewarding to me. The game doesn’t withhold any punches on Hard regarding time pressures and the like, so it ain’t no walk in the park even for the introductory scenarios. Yet there can often be more then one way to go about achieving your objectives, so it doesn’t feel restrictively puzzle-like either on Hard either.

Each official scenario alone offers a good, at minimum, few hours of gameplay each. Then you chuck the map\scenario editor on top, associated Steam workshop support for sharing user-generated content, and sandbox mode on top. Pretty sure I could extract a hundred hours out of this game just based on the quality of some of the user scenarios on the workshop.

Classic really is a deceptively deep game about operating a private Japanese transportation business. Until All Aboard! Tourism hopefully makes its way to PC and I get a chance to try it, Classic definitely up there as a favourite of the series for me in terms of gameplay. Took everything I enjoyed about A-Train 9 as a simulation/management game, threw in a slew of gameplay improvements and quality of life fixes, and magic happened.

Nice range of different objectives to achieve in the scenarios too. The fourth scenario ‘City by the Lake’ is all about urban development and assisting the development of a region into a thriving metropolis by a lake. Can’t think of too many other railway\transport tycoon-like games that have their own RCI-esque indicator for sector supply & demand. Though, a very handy tool to have when you want to get your hands dirty establishing profitable subsidiaries across the map (e.g., building stacks of sorely needed housing developments).

Seems a year has almost past @Nightgaunt since your above post and I see that Before We Leave is launching on Steam in a few days, seems there was a major game update recently. Anyone else play it recently?

Katherine of Sky posted a video on that two days ago. Anyone watch it?

I definitely haven’t come back to it, just due to time. Would be curious to hear what’s been added.

Watching it now!

Could be interesting. Looks to be trying to combine traditional Sim City/Cities Skyline type blocks and traffic management with Anno/Settlers style production chains.

Cool. I hope it comes together well.