City Builder / Colony Manager General Discussion Thread

This got me curious – why haven’t I seen a turn based city builder – so I tried to build out a Steam search for it.

It’s not perfect, but these return a few games: Turn-Based Strategy & City Builder,
Turn-Based & City Builder

The games I’ve played here are Dorf Romantik and Islanders, which I guess are technically turn based city builders but are more puzzlers. But there’s a bunch of indie games that I’ve never seen that fit the description.

We’ll have to see what Elaborate Lands actually plays like - the one TB-City game I tried (Regional Fantasy Town Thingie) was very much a puzzle game not a strategy game IMO. And DorfRomantik looked like a puzzle game to me (I didn’t try it.)

However, the description of Elaborate Lands makes me think it might be a bit more dynamic and strategic. Worth a look IMO.

Terra Nil is amazing, it has been on Itch as more pixely version for a long time.

Apparently there is a game and demo (nextfest) to build a WW2 german bunker and produce Wunderwaffes.

Link removed.

So is this the tone-deaf output of someone failed by a broken education system, or a purposeful masturbatory fantasy for people who worship murderous losers? Either way, I can think of any reason to link to the steam page, or help boost their signal.

That’s crazy. A pixel version of the game! I would have thought that would be harder to make, not easier.

I had to stop playing Silent Hunter because it felt too weird, I can’t imagine playing SimFührerbunker

Link removed, no offense intended to anyone. It’s part of next fest, so people at Valve you would think had to have checked the content before letting it on the platform.

I posted late last night for the discussion aspect, but I do agree the premise alone is in bad taste knowing how much slave labor the Nazi’s used in WW2.

Why would Valve deplatform this? Isn’t evil empire world domination a common theme in Paradox “historical” grand strategy?

Personally I wouldn’t buy the game, just wondering if I missed something that it actually isn’t even permitted?

Over a year later 1.0!

“serene” and “brutal real time combat” have me confused

I tried the Terra Nil demo. It seems lovely, but it tells me I can rotate the buildings I put down, and that’s important when trying to make a river bed. But for the life of me, I can’t figure out how. I tried left click and dragging, I tried right clicking, I tried right click and dragging, I tried middle clicking, and dragging, but nothing rotates the buildings. WASD and arrow keys move the camera, as does middle clicking. I tried looking for options or some kind of help menu, but couldn’t find one.

Oh well. They lost me. Not wishlisting this one!

Some games use “R” for rotate.

That would have been really useful information to put at the bottom of the interface if that’s the case. One thing I always really appreciated about Age of Empires is that they always put on the screen what you had to do next. If you selected a unit, they would display “right click to move here” or “right click to cut wood” if you hovered your mouse over woods, etc.

Also, my mind is boggling at the thought of a city builder interface that forces you to use the keyboard. Shouldn’t a relaxing looking city builder be able to played with just the mouse?

Anyway, the last city builder I played was Caesar 3, and that was a better experience than this Terra Nil demo.

@Rock8man is really bad at rotating!

Mouse wheel rotates buildings.

I agree that placing the keyboard callout in the top right of the building’s tooltip is non-standard, a better place for the callout would be in the play area while you’re “holding” the tile.

I do not think Tera Nil is a city builder, but more of a puzzle game. At least that was my impression after playing the demo.

Has anyone been playing the Sweet Transit demo? I find the tutorial a bit off putting especially in the latter segments. Having a problem following some of the steps especially with signals to get it to work correctly.

There are definitely a lot of rough patches. I like that it immediately sets the expectation that this is a world with just railroads (and walkable roads, I guess) and no other transportation, so JUST TRAINS, BABY! And I thiiiiink the way it does signals might be better than any other game that attempts the same thing? But, then, I quickly got totally confused by them in the later tutorials.

Anyway, I jumped into a regular game after the tutorial and after one false start I started accomplishing things. Build in loops! That’s my tip.

One thing I just totally didn’t understand is why there’s this arbitrary (and enormous) distance that you have to separate certain facilities by. Your warehouse (where you drop off goods for construction and upkeep) can’t be near your town just… because. Or near any industry. I get it: You can’t just put everything close together and have no need for trains. But there’s got to be a better way to incentivize separating things or to give you more flexibility than you have. Or better, to be able to start with short loops and then expand into longer and longer ones.

Anyway, let it cook a bit longer. I think it could be good.

Based on the fact that you only get the one warehouse (and the assumption you will not get more); it makes some sense to force players to build the warehouse in an area all its own. I would think that entire warehouse area would get crowded since most (every?) resource has to go to the warehouse. It stops players from making the mistake of not leaving enough room in the warehouse zone (my speculation).