City of Heroes to Shut Down

You loose influence in per portion of the xp boost. IE: +25% xp = -25% influence gain. So they are not really free.

That seems like a fair trade if you’re just wanting to speed level though.

There’s a ton of possibilities, and when you have time you can browse through all the wiki info on Inventions. Here’s the quick version:

You’ll get two kinds of invention drops: recipes and salvage. Each has its own inventory window (accessible above your power bar next to the Enhancements menu item). Both recipes and salvage come in common (white), uncommon (yellow), and rare (orange) varieties, plus at high level ultra-rare (purple) recipes. You can sell any of these at a vendor (scroll down below the inspirations), but at least for the rare ones you’ll often find a better deal selling them on the Auction House (accessible by /ah).

There are two kinds of recipes: generic and set. All the generics are common and just say something like “Invention:Damage”. These drop pretty regularly, and you can also buy them from a crafting workbench (found in Universities, such as the one in southern Steel Canyon). The set recipes will have the name of the set and whatever they enhance, such as “Decimation: Acc/Dam”. They’re uncommon rarity and higher, and if you want to buy one you have to go to the Auction House. Hovering over the recipe will show you what salvage you need to craft it. If you don’t have the right salvage, you can get it on the Auction House.

IO enhancements roughly follow the regular enhancement values. A level 10 IO is roughly the same as a level 10 training enhancement, a level 15/20 IO is near to a L15/20 dual origin, and a level 25 IO is about the same as a L25 single origin enhancement. After that, the IOs tend to be slightly better than equivalent SOs.

It’s true that IOs never expire, but they also don’t get better as you level. So you probably don’t want to stick with that L10 IO for very long - that would be like continuing to slot training enhancements instead of upgrading to dual and single origins. If you exemplar down, IOs do get scaled down, similar to how regular enhancements do.

My general approach is to use normal enhancements until level 22. Then I slot a bunch of L25 IOs. As you level and get more slots, keep adding whatever IOs you can. Those are basically like single-origin enhancements and work great for leveling, all the way to 50 if you like. At that point you can go back and revisit your build, possibly adding set IOs - but those are going to be spendy, be warned.

It’s feasible to make IOs at level 25? I got some level 20s and a level 32. I been buying SO/DOs at stores.

Here’s the secret to crafting common IOs: the memorization badges. It requires an initial outlay, but once you earn a memorization badge you can craft the related IOs without needing a recipe and for half the normal crafting cost. Get the badges on one character, and use that character to make IOs for the rest of your roster.

Absolutely! And you can slot IOs three levels above your character’s level, just like regular enhancements, so you can start slotting the lvl 25 IOs when your character is lvl 22.

Anyone curious when the servers are most (or least) populated?

That’s GMT, so that peak is right about 11 PM US Eastern time.

Is anyone familiar with Time manipulation? Looking at the powers, I can’t figure out how to slot them. I mean, what kinds of enhancements. Does does the slow movement powers slow their attack speeds or just how fast they can run? If its the former, then thats how Id slot it, if its the latter, then I do not see any point in spending slots on them.

I haven’t really used Time much, but slows in general do affect both attack and movement speed. Certainly it works that way for Storm and Kinetics, so Time should be the same.

Time Crawl definitely does slow attack speed.

Time, in general, is a really powerful choice. I have it a few toons, lots of fun.

I meant what enhancers to slot into it. I did an experiment, putting the slow enhancers, when looking at the details, did NOT increase the power cooldown effects used against enemies.

Recharge debuffs cannot be enhanced, so you are enhancing the movement speed debuff only by slotting slow enhancements.

I stick an accuracy/endurance IO into Time Crawl and leave it at that.

I use Distortion Field and Rain of Fire together. I use a single slow IO or a slow/endurance set IO, endurance reduction, and enough recharge to match the recharge on RoF. Just need enough slow enhancement to floor enemies’ movement speed so they don’t run out of the rain. Endgame, I slot for hold with a four-piece Basilisk’s Gaze set.

Has anyone else used the Spectrum costume option? I made a solid black blaster. Dark/dark of course. Also a sort of misty body and eyes in dark purple. It matches the primary and secondary powers perfectly. Yeah. I’m a COH nerd. :)

I’ve found them super-handy even with the tradeoff. Am I getting behind the level curve a bit, or does Character X really need another power or two to feel powerful? Double XP for an hour or two, and boom.

Damn it. I would have bet the farm that my copies of this game were stored away on a certain out-of-the-way shelf, but they’re not there. I’ve searched high and low and I can’t find them anywhere.

DISAPPOINTED!!!

Now that tells you something about how long ago this game was launched. People have (or at least think they have) physical media! But these are modern times and it’s all digital now!

Was staff in the game at shutdown? I don’t remember it. But it kicks ass with dark manipulation.

Last weekend I was searching for my Mids character files. The ones I spent so much time poring over back in the day, but haven’t looked at since the shutdown. Turned out the only drive with copies of the files was an IDE hard drive. Remember those? Me neither. But I still had an old board with a single IDE port, and a CPU and RAM plugged in. So I spent the better part of a Sunday afternoon cobbling together enough of a system that could read the drive and copy the files.

Which reminds me, someone going by Pine updated Mids with the I24 & I25 data. You can find it here (related Reddit thread). Some of the pool sets like Gadgetry didn’t make it into the game, but otherwise it seems to be accurate.

Is there an CoH character build still? I may want to repec my character, but Ill need to plan him out first if I do.

Bio armor is great. Especially when you turn off that ugly walnut armor effect.