City of Heroes to Shut Down

Tip! Before starting the patcher, go to your CoH directory and rename the “score” folder to “homecoming”. Then you only have to download changes instead of every file that belongs in the directory.

Yeah, that’s a kinda dumb change for the developers to make, but this isn’t their day job. It happens.

Thanks! I ended up just letting it download, wasn’t too bad actually. Chugging along on my Thugs/Dark Mastermind, pretty fun.

Didn’t quite make it to the namesake quarter to three, but I was up until 1 am last night getting started with two characters—an archery/reflexes hero, and a bots/force fields mastermind. The latter is a remake of a character I played back before it shut down.

What a hoot. I really enjoyed it back in the day, and it’s great to see it back.

What’s the unofficial qt3 server given the halcyon change? Excelsior?

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m on Everlasting.

I saw Everlasting a few times in the thread, so that’s where I started out, too.

e: Everlasting is also the unofficial RP server and Indomitable the unofficial PvP server, if that matters at all to you.

I am playing on Indominable because its the least busy server.

I guess I should move my toons so I don’t get stuck with tooname#1004

Gotta clean enhancements from supergroup and ah

Oh dear god, how did I miss that CoH is back?! Installing so fast.

Does this have all the expansions and stuff available?

Pretty much, and more. Issue 25:

And fairly minor stuff since:

I thought the Sentinel archetype I picked for one of my characters was new.

Evidently, the servers cost about $2700 per month to run, which is less than I would have guessed.

I’ve stayed on Torchbearer, figuring it’s probably the most active server so has the best teaming opportunities. Pretty much the same reason I played on Freedom back in the day.

Yeah, we should probably change the thread title.

I believe the basic idea is not to tempt the gods Cease and Desist. And so, leave it be. :)

Boy, this game has not aged all that gracefully. It’s not very good looking (though IIRC, it never looked all that great, even new) and the UI is clunky as hell.

OTOH, creating a new hero is still one of the most fun things to do in MMO history. I made a Mastermind demon summoner/healer dude and am tooling around Atlas beating up bad guys. Can’t really remember how any of these systems work, but I’m having fun!

I thought it aged pretty well graphically. UI and interface are super clunky but thankfully a lot of that can be ‘fixed’ with binds.

Graphically if you turn on the experimental graphics options and make sure your settings are up there I thought it looked fine.

There’s a cel-shader option under Experimental Graphics which actually looks pretty decent. I’m going to see how it works for the rest of my time tonight.

I tried that, didn’t like it. But then, I like the original graphics fine. If it makes the game look better to other folks, great!

Can someone explain crafting enhancers a bit to me? One thing I saw somewhere is that crafted enhancers never expire. However, I see that I have a level 10 acc and level 15 acc recipie. Yet they have different bonus values. If I make a level 10 while I am level 10 and slot it, will it be locked in at full power? But if I craft it at level 15 it will be weaker? Is there a way to unload unwanted recipes?

Ooh the cel-shader looks psychedelic.

Dunno if this is well-known, but there a vendor in Atlas Square that gives out free XP boosters. Presumably those used to cost real money, but they’re free now.