City of Heroes to Shut Down

You want to drop it? I want to drop it.

Yeah, consider it dropped. {hug}

Pocket D invasion:

Dat ass!

I think CoH got too greedy with trying to nickel-and-dime players. I tried it once it went F2P, but it felt like one giant cash shop. You had to even ‘buy’ things like an ability to trade or send others tells.

I think those things were gated behind a paywall mainly to restrict the RMT merchants. I was particularly disappointed though when they started selling enhancements in the cash shop, particularly purple enhancements since those were the rarest in the game.

Again, though, it was profitable and had content for some time in the pipeline.

Sad to see it go. I haven’t played in years, but it was probably the MMO I put the most time into.

RIP:
Blitz Craig: Skinny little scientist with giant mechano-arms. Lightning Blaster.
La Dorada: Giant golden amazon. Fire Tank.
Founding Father: Patriotic Themed older gentleman. Controller, I think.

You just reminded me of my fire tank, Disco Inferno, whose mace was actually a magical mirror ball. Ah, good times.

I have fond memories of CoH. It is sad to see a bunch of talented people now out of work. Good luck all.

Some of the folks from the studio are posting farewells. Here’s two of the big ones, Positron and War Witch.

http://www.mmodesigner.com/?p=272
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=296202

I won’t lie, when War Witch says she got teary-eyed, so did I.

I interacted with Positron via forums and PM’s on several occasions, and he was unfailingly polite, helpful, and nice. CoH was in good hands when he took over, though I’d already made my exodus by that time (due to the PvP-caused nerfings I’ve already mentioned).

I spent time with War Witch at the last NYC meet and greet. She gives great hugs. And after reading that I could use one or two. Damn.

I find this thread worthy of my second post.

I still vividly remember my first hero, Nor Easter (storm/Elec def.) getting the precursor to the flight power; hover. It was painfully slow but you could still go anywhere you could with flight. Having admired the vertical scope of the game and knowing I could indeed get to the top of that huge building I just had to go ahead and hover my way there. The painfully slow leveling at the launch of the game guaranteed I would not have the patience to wait for true flight. Soon after getting the power I began my epic hovering journey. It took a solid 10 mins plus to reach the top of tallest building I could find. My exhilaration upon reaching the top was quickly switched over to an overwhelming sense of duty because dammit if there was not a group of thugs trying break open a skylight way up there. How dare they ruin my special moment. I did the only thing a Storm defender could do. I promptly blew them off the roof while cackling like a mad man. What an awesome game! I literally lost my stomach when I jumped off the roof after them and fell like a rock. I spent countless hours working the toon creator to only get to the end and find my Name was not available. Good times. With that I salute the Devs for making one of the best games I have ever played and also give a last shout out to my favorite characters over the years. You will be missed:

Nor Easter (Storm/Elec Def.)
Migraine (Mind/kinetics controller)
Half Pint (MA/reflex scrapper) he was a little wee one
Sherlock Ohms (elec/elec blaster) Never ran without his partner Dr. Wattson (emp/elec defender)
The Dead Doctor (zombie/poison mastermind)
Solid Gold (gold robot tank)
Da Vine (plant dominator)
Icearella (cold/cold blaster)

and cast of lesser knowns:

Vaya Con Dios
Phsyco Delik
Metal Core
Gravity Hit
Radicool
The Sixth Dimension

Happy to hear it, Mike! Not that it was my doing. I haven’t played in years now, but those first few years of CoH were among the best in gaming for me as well.

What other MMO allowed for such player creativity, and attracted such a fun and (for the most part) mature player base? Just reading some of the punny hero names in this thread cracks me up and reminds me of the many times in-game when a hilarious hero would zoom by.

RIP, CoH!

What the hell:-

My first main was called Blue Yin, MA/SR Scrapper. Oh the joys of Crane Kicking baddies off rooftops!

Chiller Girl, Ice/Ice Blaster
Thelema, Dark/Dark/Dark Defender
Absolutely Mental, Mind/Storm Controller
Soundblaster, Sonic/Elec Blaster (I was soo proud of that name lol)
Speed Shock, Kin/Elec Defender
Blazing Rock, Stone/Fire Tank

And many more (probably about another dozen alts in various states of repair).

Sad to hear :(

I spent more time just making characters in CoH and CoV than I have playing some games. They should hire themselves out as consultants for future MMOs on how to design customization and grouping systems.

:(

This was a game I would come back to many times over the years. It was so easy to jump back into the game after long breaks.A large part of that was the ease of grouping and equally important, a player base that made grouping fun.

I’ve have never experience another MMO where the player base was as friendly and helpful as the population of Paragon City.

R.I.P., Professor Booty.

Dear FTP MMOs -

If I create an account to play your game, then you should really send me weekly or monthly emails telling me about what’s on sale this week / month, as well as what’s new and interesting to do in your game. Otherwise I’m likely to forget all about you.

Also, if you don’t put stuff on sale, I’m going to assume you just suck.

Basically, follow the DDO model.

Love,

Bala.

Adamantine - 34 Tanker
Mithril Blade - 34 Scrapper
Reac Tor - 36 Defender
Ice Nova - 31 Blaster
Barusk - 22 Scrapper
Dragon Fists - 28 Scrapper
Energy Nova - 18 Blaster
Violet Arrow - 22 Blaster
Grav Flux - 16 Controller
Solar Fireball - 17 Blaster
Violet Blades - 32 Tanker
Blade of Roses - 16 Scrapper

CoH was the first MMO that made me change my name. It was Pimptastic and I guess they thought it was a bit too over the edge.

Still, I’ll never forget getting flight for the first time, flying to the top of the highest building and just sitting there. Amazing stuff…