Civilization IV: The Main Thread

I am also definitely not playing this. Not playing as Fremen because who would want to turn Arrakis green, that’s madness.

Also, your comment on Atreides colors has got me (mis)remembering, wasn’t their house color described as red in Dune? Of course one of the films/miniseries had them as green/black and Dune/2000 had them as blue as well.

Honestly I remember Dune II better than the book or movie even though I was probably eight years old and have read the book / seen the movie much more recently. Go figure.

The Atreides color discussion reminded me of a really neat Dune article, about how a great deal of Dune was inspired/plagiarized from an earlier book about Muslim warriors fighting against Russian expansionism in the Caucasus:
https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-secret-history-of-dune/#!

Apparently the Atreides green comes from the traditional color of Islam, and the Atriedes black from the traditional color of their holy warriors. You know, like ISIS. Which then raises the question: was the entire Dune fandom a multi-decade, deep cover recruiting operation by Radical Islam? All signs point to yes.

Very interesting, thanks!

A very nice retrospective on a game from a great reviewer.

Nice read! Thanks for sharing.

Man makes me want to play it again. Then I realize I had almost 2,000 hours into the game, and really shouldn’t be looking backwards.

I’m surprised that reviewer missed one of the best things about Civ IV the best music ever

I’ve performed Baba Yetu! It’s so great.

Sadly I don’t have the high range for the tenor solo, but it was still a ton of fun.

As one of the creators of Dune Wars, I’m glad to see that people are still NOT playing it nearly 10 years after Dune Wars 1.0 was released!

I would definitely recommend people DO NOT play Dune Wars:Revival 1.10 as it’s the most complete and polished version of the mod. It includes the Music Pack so there’s no need to install that separately.

And yes that is Derek Jacobi. We need a leader graphic for House Richese so we hijacked him from Kenneth Branagh’s Hamlet. And Atreides are green/black as that was their banner colour in the books. We tried to create a fusion of all the different versions of Dune out there from Herbert to Westwood to Lynch - so some things are going to contradict people’s expectations!