Civilization V

I think the game would become drastically slower; the number of hexes would increase dramatically to make that realistic. Also the time scale for the turns would need to be changed too.

Man… Mass Effect 2, BioShock 2, Crackdown 2, Starcraft II… And now Civ V? This is the year of the sequels to Denny’s favorite games! At this rate, I’m expecting the announcement of Chuck Yeager’s Air Combat II and Balance of Power 2010 any moment now.

This looks really exciting. I still haven’t played enough of all of the Civ IV stuff, but I certainly welcome this one. I was worried that the Facebook Civ game spelled a new direction for Firaxis; good to know that it just gave an outlet for the casual market so that they can continue to feed the hardcore.

Now, let’s round it out with SMAC 2… :)

Yeah, i kind of began daydreaming. That would be my ideal Civilization. :P
But surely it would be a too drastic change for this series, always more conservative* than anything else.

edit: *Not that it’s something bad, it’s one of the classics as it is.

The hex-based map and ranged attacks across hexes actually reminds me most of the Fantasy General (or I guess any of the “* General” series, though Fantasy had catapults and archers) system. 4X game strategy + SSI “General” hex maps and mechanics sounds very close to a game designed specifically for me. My head might explode from bliss!

Just to throw some cold water on everything: I wonder what kind of moronic PC DRM it will have?

The Eurogamer article appears to have disappeared.

All hail Jon Shafer!

Mandatory reply: That one already exists.

!!

A Fantasy General civmod.
oh please… oh please… oh please…

So excited for this! :D Hurry up and finish it! :P

Don’t do this. Trust me.

-Scott-

I can think of a few. Take for instance the idea of flanking versus frontal vs rear. in a square grid setting you have Front, two flanks and a read. in a hex you could have 3 fronts, 2 flanks, and a rear, or 1 front, 4 flanks and a read, etc. This of course assumes you have facing at all, which Civ has not had in the past.

If there is no flanking and no stacking, then this really only changes the amount of adjacent forces you can bring to bear on one tile at a time, which is 33% more in a hex system. a 33% swin depending on how you design things is a significant change in your defense/offense strategy I would guess.

This could end up resembling the table top roots of thes genre more then the previous versions.

You can attack on diagonals in traditional Civ (8 surrounding tiles), so you can attack with less force on a hex map (6 surrounding tiles).

Troy

GDI, you are so right, so not 33% one way, but 25% the other way. I was wrapped up in my imagination of Civ 5 turning into a more traditional P&P war game.

GDI? I’ve always more a NOD guy.

Troy

The question is will it still cater to the mod community? Will we get our Fall from Heaven mod!

Hex-based maps and actual ranged combat from non-adjacent squares.

This will be different, will give it that.

The first post did say “extensive modding capabilities” so I would probably say so, since it helped Civ IV so much.

I’m betting you will be able to turn off the hexes in the options if you don’t want them.

The Civ 5 website says the mod tools will be better then the Civ 4 tools.

If you mean the hex grid, sure. You could turn off seeing the grid in Civ 3 and 4 (I don’t remember if you could in Civ 2). But it’s still hexes even if you don’t see the hex lines.