Civilization VI

Which is what was advertised.

“…access to four post-launch DLC packs* that will add new maps, scenarios, civilizations and leaders for a bundled discount.”

Oh, I’m sure most people purchased it thinking they’d get 2 civs and 2 single-scenario DLCs.

Well then, they were fools thinking they would get 4 $15-20 DLCs for the $20 extra they paid for the deluxe version. Regardless, as Scott pointed out, they made it quite clear what people were getting. It was the reason I did not buy it. (I am assuming your response was sarcastic, my apologies if I misinterpreted it).

The civ pack isn’t the problem. It’s the $5 separate Viking scenario pack that sucks.

By the way, that’s not my opinion. I’m going by the folks that have expressed their displeasure on Steam.

And I never buy the season passes until I see what the full package will consist of, so I’m right there with you.

Looking at the game in the videos now after watching Tom play in 2D mode is so weird. It’s like an alternate Civ VI.

Wow. I’ve been out history nerded!

I’m happy that I got the anniversary edition and don’t have to shell out any additional for all the DLC. Even though I’m sure it’s covered by the additional cost I paid upfront, I’d always rather do a one-time payment than be microtransacted to death. I totally get not wanting to pay for the extras. It’s why I’ve not bought Fallout 4 yet and why I never did buy the Skyrim and Witcher 3 DLC. I could love games to death, but DLC and season passes have me annoyed to the extreme that I will actively avoid games (like the aforementioned FO4) until it’s packaged together or I’ll likely never get them.

And yeah, the scenarios are useless. I don’t think I’ve ever played any in any Civ game from Civ IV onwards.

On that note, I did notice that the Civ VI DLC is all showing as having been added ‘25-Oct-2016’ even though it wasn’t released then, likely because that’s when I installed the game and was given access to the DLC.

So playing as the Poles with the new patch, I’ve also installed the improved city panel mod (Divine Yuri’s City Panel). All of a sudden I noticed that the top row of purchase buttons in the city panel (the ones that let you buy units for gold, faith, etc.) are grayed out. I’ve never seen this before and I could swear I used them not too long ago.

Anyone have any idea what’s happening?

Also, does it seem to anyone else that King difficulty has gotten a lot harder? I had to drop back down to Prince because in my first 2 or 3 attempts, barbs were swarming all over the place.

You likely have a military unit stationed in the city, which disables the buy unit buttons.

POssibly, although I never noticed that before. I’ll have to restore the game and check.

Is the AI still unacceptably bad? I’ll prob be asking that after every patch before deciding whether to play the genre again, let alone this game.

The new “alert” button is ridiculously broken. It doesn’t work at all.

They’re never going to address the AI as a serious issue. At most they will make tiny tweaks that don’t fix the core problem of it being profoundly stupid.

I agree, the only hope for a substantial AI improvement is for them to allow DLL access and get the modding tools out to the community. There’s some doubts if that will happen with Civ6, though.

I need some kind of reminder to never buy a civ game again if they can’t be bothered to do a decent AI. I am sure in a few years Ill forget and buy the next one.

Please include me in that reminder.

The beatings will continue until AI improves.

For years, and I do mean years, I was of the opinion that the AI in CIv games wasn’t really that important. I mean, I don’t play at a high level, and I always found the “fiddly bits” of the game systems engaging enough that I didn’t mind the idiocy of the AI. Much.

But Civ VI has reminded me that you can push this model of development way too far. And they did that this time. The failings of the AI have done something no other Civ game ever did–make me uninterested in playing. The flaws are so egregious that I have trouble putting them aside. I have but 79 hours into Civ VI, a paltry sum compared to other Civs at this point after launch.

Is there anything in particular that sticks out to you more in Civ6? The reason I ask is that I felt this exact same way with Civ5, but the impression I got is that a lot of people here just eye-rolled at complaining about the AI.

The poor AI has seemed to hit a tipping point for a lot more people here with Civ6, but to me it just seems more of the same (which is bad, don’t get me wrong!).

Is it true that the AI can’t even figure out how to take a walled city in Civ 6?