Civilization VI

I have to say that I really like all the improvements, and wish that some of the interface stuff should have been patched into the core game. But it has really cut down on the number of things that annoyed the hell out of me (the constant raiding barbarians, the overwhelming wave of religious units, etc) and made things more interesting. As someone who only finished a single game of Civ VI in one year, I’m finding myself drawn in.

That goes triple for the super lengthy and awful leader intros every time you start or load a game that you cannot turn off. It’s alt+tab out every time I have to load something.

Well geez. Why weren’t they listed under “historic moments” in the Rise and Fall section?

Those are terribly laid out. Listed by alphabetical order and you have to click on each one to see the score? You should be able to see the score from the menu, and the conditions should be categorized (ancient era, military related, city related, tech related, civics related, etc).

Or just scrap it entirely because it doesn’t really add anything to the game once you do figure it out. The only decent addition is loyalty for introducing a way to deal with settling aggression other than heavily penalized war declaration. But they desperately need to fix how it works with newly conquered cities.

For governors you have the research one that you’ll always pick, the industry one you’ll always eventually pick, and the border expansion one you might pick solely for the border expansion bonus and nothing else. All others are garbage. Especially laughable governor abilities are the +30% production towards government plaza (you mean the district that you’re limited to building ONCE in your entire civilization?), the double commercial district adjacency bonus for one city (that’s capped at +2?), and the +3 gold per foreign trade route moving through that city (how the fuck are you supposed to know that?).

I wish they would reuse quotes from the earlier games. I get wanting to use new stuff for each game and I am totally fine with a new narrator, but retreads are preferable to some of the, let’s be generous and say “suboptimal,” quotes for some (lots?) of the techs in this one.

I have to confess I know someone who’s quoted in the game, so I’m a little biased on this front.

That said, I know someone who’s quoted in this game and that lack of historical gravity associated with some of the quotes is a valid criticism. I like them, but I hear you.

this… I feel the same way. It totally takes the cool, historical reality out of the game and makes it into some random cartoon :(

Hmm, I really like the leaders, thing they do a great job of showing emotion.

I’ll focus more on that next time I play :)

I kind of wish they’d have the leaders change garb based on their era. Sure, a lot more work, but I think it’d be fascinating to see ancient leaders in modern garb (and vice versa) and give more emphasis on the changing times.

I like the look of the leaders too. It seems fitting since Civ’s always been cartoony and a bit humorous.

I don’t mind the recency of the newer quotes—in fact, I think it’s the quotes from older sources I like the least in VI and I enjoyed the Civ IV quotes from the Velvet Underground and the one where Nimoy makes beeping sounds in imitation of Sputnik. I just don’t think they fit as well with the techs as the ones in previous installments. And maybe the person you know is one of the newer ones that I like. Most of the wonder quotes are good, so I assume the issue is that they are opting for third-choices for the techs at this point.

Is there more than one more quotation per tech? Do they rotate? Sometimes I listen and think, “wasn’t that different last time?”

Sean Bean is fine, but my avatar should give you a hint about my favorite Civ quote-speaker. :)

I think they did this in Civ III. I liked that touch.

I noticed with pottery, and I think mining that yes, there are multiple quotes for those techs. In fact, there’s a list: Civilization VI Quotes

Thanks for that link! It looks like there are two quotes for most techs. That’s a nice touch.

This expansion has grabbed me more than vanilla Civ 6. I especially like loyalty, eras, the new golden/dark ages, and alliances, which really improve the diplomatic game. I don’t have much experience with emergencies yet.

I think Governors are under-developed. I like the idea, but the implementation in Endless Space 2 is better. I’d add more upside/downside pairs to the Governors, and make their experience trees a bit more detailed. I’d make it more intuitive to swap them in and out. I like that ES2 lets you assign governors to either settlements or military units. For immersion, I’d certainly add more than 7 governor portraits and names that every Civ uses. Yeah, if each Civ gets a unique slate of governors, that’s a lot more work, but they have time to do that for the next expansion.

The diplomatic AI in general seems better to me. It’s mildly annoying to be the occasional target of “formal” joint declarations of war, but my impression is that the AIs are trading DOWs for goodies, so I can live with it. On the other hand, the alliances actually mean something now. The combat AI is still flawed, but even that has seen some incremental improvements: the AI can and does take walled cities, and it’s better about both beelining toward cities and picking off wounded units. The economic-development AI seems slightly better too. None of these AI improvements will change the minds of those for whom AI is paramount, but the net result for me is a tenser, more challenging game.

The game still takes too long even on small maps (I don’t like the tiny ones) and the AI is still weak, but I’ve been enjoying learning how to use the new systems and trying to win more quickly, I made it before 1900 last time. Nowhere near as good as the experts and I haven’t moved up past King difficulty but it works for me :)

Yeah, my biggest complaint is turn time, especially in the mid to late game. Is there anything that speeds it up?

Enabling quick movement and/or quick combat speeds it up a lot.

Holy shit the AI is still absolutely horrific. I bottled up Australia by parking 2 scouts about 5 spots away from their capital. For over a thousand years they had a settler adjacent to my scout. They could’ve walked around. They could’ve declared war. They could’ve done anything except just allow themselves to be stuck forever. Just awful.

I use both quickness options h and I still feel the late game turns take too long; this is one of the reason I stick to small maps.

I have a question. If you genocide a civilization off a continent before they can tell other people, it’s okay right? I believe if I click on their diplo screen it shows which civs they have contacted.

I can’t remember if Civ 6 is this way or if I’m misremembering earlier civ mechanics.

I don’t remember myself. All I know is that declaring war pre-classical age does not incur warmonger penalty, so it may not matter if that is the case.