Civilization VI

This won’t help you in the early game, but supposedly there’s a World Congress resolution that allows you to attack enemy missionaries with your regular units. Count me in!

That said, my game has had zero missionary spam, even though the other civs all beat me to religions. I imagine it will arrive sooner or later. Then again, I turned off religious victory, so maybe that’s why?

Random Hall of Fame factoid: you can get old saves into the HoF, supposedly, if you reload a near-victory save and win again. I haven’t tried yet.

Another minor improvement: the Great People screen is now all on one screen, so we no longer have to scroll. Edit: Oops, never mind - I do have to scroll.

I love the music for the Maori. It may not be to everyone’s taste, and I’ll probably be sick of it after a dozen hours, but so far I like it.
Actually, just about everything Maori is cool. I may start another game as them, just to see if I can do a better job of finding a first city spot.

I know, right? Why are the devs hiding one of the expansion’s nicest features? lol.

When I think about all my favourite Civ memories across all version, they always involve a narrative or story about my empire (created in my head). Naming the map features is just such a fundamentally human thing to do to help people create those stories… its now the war in the Talus mountain gap, not just that time I fought 4 Germany units in some hills.

I was just thinking about this in terms of the 1 unit per hex, which I love from a story perspective as it enables me to manoeuvre like a genius general. Of course that requires the AI to lose competently, as it is hard to maintain that narrative when it is clear that the AI does not understand what a catapult is.

Getting 22% off is probably the cheapest its going to be for a while, right? It may hit 25% off this summer and no more than 33% by winter. That probably means I should just get it now right? :-)

Anyone have strong feelings either way?

If you are in the market for a game like this right now, yeah you’re talking a few bucks months from now at best, maybe $6 additional in savings by the end of the year if you can get it 33% off. You’ll almost certainly get $32 worth of fun out of playing with the game again and enjoying the new features the expansion provides, including and not limited to all the new Wonders, tile types, civs, and the like. Unless you have other games you are in the middle of, of course. I picked it up despite Metro Exodus dropping and I’m in the middle of Etrian Odyssey Nexus on the 3DS. I don’t really need another game, but I did have a lot of fun so far with Gathering Storm, and I plan to play it most of this weekend.

You can make them promise not to convert your cities - one of the new options in diplomacy.

Edit: and the map naming option was on automatically for me.

@saracen31 Even the mountain/desert naming options were on for you? When I started, only river-naming was on for me.

So I’m in the middle of my first peaceful emergency competition – disaster relief to Mali, which was hit hard by a storm. The prize for first place is a diplomatic victory point. The Canadians, Swedes and my Maori are all vying for it by sending Mali gold (as if they need it!) and completing the disaster-relief Project. Pretty cool!

Has the AI improved any?

From what I’ve seen so far, not really. Haven’t even played a full game yet though.

Combat AI is probably the same, I was never put out by the combat AI though personally. It does dumb things, I do dumb things, it works out fine. Diplomacy AI seems to be a little more considered with the Diplomacy Favor system, I’ve seen the AI vote down a … law, or whatever they are called, that I voted for because it benefited only me and not him. He’s also growing more unfriendly with me as I convert his cities to my religion, and as his army grows bigger than mine, which is making total sense (I’d be upset as well). I’m way too early in the game and only have one AI neighbor though, so results are honestly overall inconclusive. I’m really enjoying my time in the game though again, I put about 2.5 hours in and I am eager to get back to it, fwiw.

@Spock You’re exactly right, mountain and desert naming was off. The others were on by default, nice catch!

Standard maps seem a lot more interesting. I got a standard continent that was 1-2 tiles wide and ran north-south for most of the map length. Couldn’t reach other civs by land.

AI cannot be made smarter like a human being…It can only be made less dumb…and the new diplo system changes have made the AI less prone to do stupid stuff

This expansion sounds a lot more interesting to me than Rise and Fall. Does it require Rise and Fall to be installed?

I’m pretty sure GS does not require R&F to be installed – just the base game. You’d still get the R&F mechanics (eras, golden ages, timeline, etc) but not the R&F civs, R&F Wonders, or R&F scenarios. I think this could be a reasonable way to go. So far I do think GS adds more than R&F.

71,000 people are playing CIV6 right now…the people have spoken

who knew?

I was not looking for an human level AI. Just something that isn’t totally brain dead. Ill give you a few examples of AI problems that got me to stop playing civ. Perhaps you can tell me if these are still issues:

1. An AI that is across the map from me, its borders are no where near me, declares war on me. Then like 100 turns later its units show up.

2. An AI attacks me with spearmen, while I have tanks and marines.

3. An AI is at war with 2 others and then declares war another war on me or a third AI, maybe even a 4th or 5th.

4. AIs don’t seem to be able to capture cities very well. Two AIs are in a war, and I just watch for like 100 turns and maybe if the stars align, one will take a city of another.

5. When you capture cities, your like, WTF is these insanely bad city planning decisions.

6. A larger lake is surrounded by a single AI. This lake is totally packed with warships.

7. The diplomatic AI makes no sense. It just makes dumb decision after dumb decision. Its like its just rolling the dice on what choices it makes. One turn your the best buddy of an AI, the next turn they denounce you.

8. The AI will build cities everywhere it can. Is there some desolate island in the middle of the arctic, with no resources? The AI will build a city there.

A final illustration of the terrible AI:
If you get to a point where you own 5 cities that are well defended and 3 of them are decently developed, then you have won the game. It does not matter if there are 12 other AIs out there who own 200 cities total, you still have won.

DeepT, I have many of your same experiences/frustrations with the AI in Civ6. I’m probably going to play quite a bit this weekend, so I’ll report back from a perspective that sounds very similar to yours.

I think there have been some areas of modest improvement in the AI, but if AI is a deal-killer for you, then you should pass on Gathering Storm for now. I’d give the devs (and modders) get a chance to adjust the AI to all the new systems. I would assume that most of the issues you mention will arise sooner or later.

That said, I personally haven’t seen any of the issues you mentioned in my 200-turn game so far. Obviously my game is a tiny sample size of just one. No civ across the map has declared war on me. The one AI that did attack me had the same tech and more military than I did, and it had good reason to do so.

I still had no trouble fending off its attack, as I was able to rush-buy many units to gain superiority, but its tactics didn’t seem outrageously stupid to me. It just needed more firepower, and it didn’t forsee that I’d use my big stockpile of gold to catch up fast. The AI should account for the opponent’s deep pockets before deciding to wage war, and it doesn’t seem to do so.

The main AI issue I worry about is the new resource system. It took months before the devs managed to get the R&F AI to start upgrading units properly, and now they’ve just changed the strategic resource system pretty radically. I love the change itself – I think it’s great that one deposit of iron no longer means infinite swordsmen. You spend iron or horses or whatever per unit. But I gotta believe this will be hard for the AI. In my current game, my local adversaries have made the first couple upgrades; too early to tell whether that behavior will continue.

As for the AI capturing other AI cities: the AI went hog-wild conquering city-states in my R&F games. But I do worry that the AI will have more trouble in GS because city walls are now double strength or something. I haven’t seen much conquest of city-states in my games, and really no big civ wars at all. This may partly reflect the new diplomacy system, which seems to inhibit warmongering. I have seen a couple loyalty-flips, though.

I also didn’t see atrocious city-planning in R&F, and the trend has continued for me in GS. I captured a couple AI cities and the builds made sense to me. I’m sure there will be examples of stupid builds in a game this complex, though, especially as again there are new systems for the AI to contend with, like new districts. (Incidentally, I was unable to hold one of the cities I captured because of loyalty issues; the second remains in doubt.)

The lakes I’ve seen haven’t had any AI ships. I do worry that the new canal district may exacerbate this issue, though – will AIs build harbors on lakes assuming that later they’ll add canals?

The diplomatic AI seems less bad to me. (Notice I didn’t say “better,” lol.) The new diplomatic favor means that civs have incentive to stockpile favor and to seek it, which tends to mean they have incentive to make appealing trades, seek alliances, and maybe avoid unnecessary wars that indirectly cost them favor (by piling up grievances and creating the possibility of favor-costly Emergencies). In my current game, I’ve had good relations with all but the one AI that attacked me – and it had good reason, as I plopped my Maori down right next to it. That said, I do find it annoying that the AI constantly pesters me to sell it diplomatic favor or resources or whatnot. It would be nice to have a “do not disturb for 10 turns” button, lol.

I haven’t seen AI cities in the Arctic or other awful spots yet, but there’s still time in my game for this to happen. I did see this in R&F, which was disappointing because I would have thought the loyalty algorithms would’ve discouraged the AI from doing this. I’ll watch for it.

TLDR: no radical overhaul of AI here; my impression is that diplomatic AI is somewhat less annoying; but I worry about the impact of the new strategic-resource system.

Got a chance to take it for a test run this afternoon. The Inca are extremely powerful!