Civilization VI

I’m not sure – lots of people in his YouTube channel asked the same questions and he didn’t respond. There are a couple Giant Earth maps in the YnAMP mod I linked a few posts above. But he cautions us that all 42 civs on a Giant Earth modded map is a recipe for lots of crashes. He didn’t get past the early game. That said, he had a much smoother experience with a modded Europe-only map (another fun video).

I’m really enjoying this. There’s just the right amount of stuff happening to keep me engaged. I’m finding the end game much more enjoyable with climate change - I’ve had storms and floods ravage a few cities, taking over some tiles tying up production with repairs, and rising seas nullifying some tiles, all while I’m pushing for science victory. Diplomacy AI is so much better, it’s a fun part of the game, as is the UN. Even spies seem to work better and I was thrilled when I sabotaged John Curtin’s dam and a flood tore through Canberra. That’ll teach him for sending over his Hindu apostles!

It’s an awesome game.

Playing my most satisfying game yet, with the Detailed Worlds mod (with a few others).

The Incan on a New Age Continents map that is Hot, and I also have Machu Picchu… and now I am vastly overpowered. I’m regularly creating science, commercial, or cultural districts with +5 bonuses, and the terrace farms have allowed me to turn the desert into an oasis of Incan cities that are overflowing with people

Same here. Then again, I crank up disasters to 3 or 4 in all my games. What disaster level do you play on? (And by the way, I agree, I’m really having fun with Gathering Storm.)

Is Detailed Worlds more “detailed” or better organized maps? It seems like deserts are larger, rainforests placed smarter, etc. Is there also more small detail of some sort? Also, I’m curious what other mods you use.

Better designed worlds. So, lets say the normal map has 10 desert hexes. Those might be scattered around the world. This mod groups them much more logically.

I don’t know if it is the same person, but in Civ5 there was a modder who did a similar thing, and ended up with much much much more interesting maps. Large mountain ranges, vast plains… just more interesting terrain. It doesn’t add any new visual elements as far as I can tell.

As far as other mods, the ones that I like are:

• Unlimited barbarian XP
  • Starting Builder and Starting Scout (per recommendations in this thread last week)
  • Religion Expanded (per recommendation last week)
  • Tomatekhs Historical Religions (haven’t really explored this one)
  • City Minimum Distance 4 (per recommendation here, this is a really nice one that gives some breathing room on the map)
  • RED Modpack - This one just adds units to the unit icons, so the batters seem slightly larger (just a visual change)

I haven’t gone too crazy

I love mods. The ones I’m currently using with Gathering Storm:

• Pidi’s Religious Border Control
  • Extended Diplomacy Ribbon
  • Simplified Gossip
  • Expanded Initial Vision
  • Tomatekh’s Historical Religions
  • Religion Expanded
  • Strategic forts
  • No Barbarian xp cap
  • Real Great People
  • Speedy Governor - 0 turn

Cool; thanks to both of you for those mod lists. I really like Extended Diplomacy Ribbon, and tonight I’m gonna try YnAMP and the “Terra” map KevinC and others were asking about. I think I’ll fire up the city minimum distance one too.

So I started a game with the YnAMP “Terra” map, on Online speed as Dido, just to test whether it works. Certainly the setup screen was reassuring: by default, it has an option for civs starting only in the Old World. Curiously, though, the default for city-states was to permit them to start in either the Old or the New World. I wasn’t sure what to do on that, so I chose no city-states in the New World either. The New World will be terra nullius.

I’m almost through the ancient era, and I’ll probably play far enough to verify that there’s an empty New World. But I forgot to add the 4-tile mod, which I really wanna try, so after finding the New World I’ll probably start a new game.

I’m giving that Detailed Worlds mod a try. I’d like to say I like it but honestly I’m not sure I can tell any difference. That said I got a nice looking map for Egypt after a few restarts and I’m enjoying life down by the river. (Egypt plays quite different now in GS with the different flood plains and immunity to flooding along with the building zones by rivers bonus.)

Oh, and I got the mod that turns Natural Disasters up a notch to “5”. Between the many volcanic eruptions (I now number 4 separate volcanoes (inc. a Wonder) in reach of various cities in my empire) and the near constant flooding (which, as Egypt, does no harm) I have a crazy array of extremely productive tiles.

Hey Spock, I vote to allow city-states in the New World; we wouldn’t remember who Cortez was if he didn’t have the Aztecs to crush.

LoL, OK, I’ll leave that option “on” when I restart. Also, I’m thinking that instead of Dido, I should play England or the Dutch or Spanish or French – you know, one of the civs that conquered the New World.

I love the look of your map – and I’m gonna run and find that Disaster-5 mod. I think disasters on 4 are nice and frequent, but I want worse. :)

Confirmed, it does work. Although I allowed city states in the New World.

One thing, though. Playing as Victoria, you kind of count on various continents to get your bonus units as you settle. But in my playthrough, the New World was one called one continent (although it looked like more visually) and, in fact, the world only had three continents according to the game.

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the heads-up. I’m starting to think I’ll try the Dutch or maybe the Spanish anyway. I haven’t really played against Eleanor of Aquitaine yet, and I’m curious how she’ll do.

Ok the year is 1966 and I just started the first Mars project. I’m only about 10-20 turns ahead of John Curtin who is also going for a science victory. It’s actually pretty close, and this is after I used Carl Sagan to launch my moon mission. I’m ahead in all of the other categories.

To end this in style with some excitement, should I make an armored run / surprise war to pillage his spaceport? Would that work? Would it risk nuclear war with him or others?

Flip his allies and infiltrate with spies.

Hmm. I have a side issue in that a foreign spy triggered a revolt in one of my cities. I have my spies in counterspy mission to hunt him down so that I can go after that Civ. Yes, it only produced two barbarian tanks that I dealt with pretty swiftly via high-altitude bombers, but it’s the principle of it! If it turns our to be Curtin I’m all over full conventional war :). But in any case, is there time to flip allies and infiltrate? I’m probably 40-60 turns from winning?

Thought I would share some of the images from my Inca run with the Detailed Worlds mod, since some folks were saying they didn’t notice much difference:

Much more contiguous desert than I have seen before in Civ6

Yeah, impressive desert, and I like the look of that big peninsula, too. Yet another mod I have to try!

I like deserts and mountains, so the world was still set to New/Hot

Funny you say that, since i really do not like deserts and mountains. Particularly mountains, which seem more numerous in Gathering Storm. Particularly at high difficulty levels, I think they have replaced “cram you among civs” in order to produce difficulty with “use map features to hem you in.” Which has some merit to it, but the mountains have two undesirable effects. 1) They lead to very much accelerated tech (generally used better by human than AI) and 2) the AI creates a stupid honeycomb of tunnels through all the mountains, making it almost impossible to see routing on the map, and also obliterating any defensive advantage the AI might have obtained from the mountains. (Not to mention what they could have done with all the production that created the builders who did the work.)