Civilization VI

Those terrain names on the map are probably the coolest thing I’ve seen in a Civ game since Civ IV. No joke. What a great idea!

-Tom

Yeah I really liked that. If you haven’t already, make sure to tick them all on in the map options. Some are disabled by default for some reason!

They don’t add to the difficulty, and mostly hinder the AI who doesn’t know how to move units through the tight passes - but for me the create a much more interesting story.

For example, in my first screenshot. I spent a large chunk of the game trying to figure out how to invade Hungary. It required me to take two city states in the mountains, before pushing through between the Carpathian Mountains and the Matra Mountains. When I finally made my move, I actually got stuck at the city at the very bottom of the screen, because it had an encampment and multiple ranged units in defense. I couldn’t bring enough firepower to bear until I got artillery.

Once I took it, the rest of Hungary fell quickly, but it provided a very interesting moment for me to figure out how to navigate the mountain passes to bring some force to bear.

The AI+ mod is back with v13.0 to be compatible with Gathering Storm!

Big new patch coming. Sound like good fixes. Desertification; slower but harsher climate change; rebalancing; no more constant AI trade requests; World Builder (allowing map creation); other stuff.

Really glad they’re addressing the issue of climate change and sea level rise a bit more. For one, reducing the speed of climate change but making the effects more pronounced is exactly what I want. The idea of military units contributing so much to CO2 emissions was annoying and I’m glad that has been taken back a bit.

City states more defensive is nice. The AI had a thing about gobbling up city states quickly and efficiently.

With the Antarctic Late Summer update, I decided to look into the new Play By Cloud feature. And it looks to be pretty slick! If you follow these excellent instructions…

…you’ll be notified on your iOS or Android device whenever you have a Civ VI turn waiting (or when any player has a turn waiting, if you like). It uses the web service IFTTT (“IF This Then That”), which I had never heard of.

This is a mod I will be getting, as I hated the cartoony look they went with

I don’t mind the art style but I do hate how hard it is to tell which hexes are hills!

How does it mesh with the cartoony units though?

[quote=“KevinC, post:3753, topic:78555, full:true”]
I don’t mind the art style but I do hate how hard it is to tell which hexes are hills!
[/quote]I have gotten hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of this game, so I really should not complain. But the aggravations are just so egregious. And this one heads the list. How can such an obvious problem remain so long after release???

[quote=“FinnegansFather, post:3755, topic:78555, full:true”]

Developer blindness

Wow, to make the game look more like Civ5? That sounds awesome.

Thanks for the heads up on this mod/update. Honestly it makes Civ VI almost bearable now.

The units may look cartoonish but there aren’t more of them than the huge change to appearance from the terrain.

Installed the mod. It definitely solves the hill problem. The first thing I want from the map is clarity, and this provides it.

… except for the remaining problem that explored areas which are not currently within the view of your cities or units remain somewhat difficult to evaluate. Always an aggravation with 6, but never as big a deal as the damned hills.

For me, the cartoony look is not such a big deal. Not sure why. Some games have turned me off with cartoony looks, but here it does not really affect me.

Next, I want a mod to stop leaders from hectoring me about wanting to send gifts to my capital.

I can tolerate the cartoony look somewhat (but it isn’t my preferred style) - but the map becomes and absolute mess by the mid-game. Just completely jumbled and nearly impossible to discern what is what.

Been busy so haven’t had a chance to try the mod, but I’m glad that it helps in some ways at least.

June 2019 update

June update should be going live sometime today. Patch notes will be published today too.

I am a devoted Civ VI player, keep going back to it, so of course I am interested.

However, the more that I play, the more I feel that this game has become less rather than more enjoyable since its original release.

The problem, in my view, is that they are heeding the #1 criticism of the game, poor AI, in the only way they know how, probably the only possible way. They are manipulating the human player’s start, such that the player has general disadvantages, and, in particular, that the map is designed to disfavor whatever advantages accrue to that particular civ. Especially at higher difficulty levels.

(If you play as Poundmaker, for example, you want to see lots of bonus resources strewn around the map, because tiles adjacent to two of them gain +1 food and +1 production by building a mekewap even very early in the game. Quite a boon! Now, a Poundmaker game will replace the bonus resources with multiple copies of luxuries. Or the “in between” tile will be a flood plain, which, in an undocumented move, they have made ineligible for a mekewap… Similar too-clever-by-a-half solutions exist for various other civs, as well.)

The problem with this approach is not that the game is too difficult, but rather that it makes playthroughs more bland and repetitive. It takes the thrill out of exploring if the map features are always doled out according to some formula. No sense looking a few tiles further in case something fantastic waits there, if the algorithm has been set up to be sure that that is not the case.

I guess what I liked best about the game early on was that it was not very well balanced. One playthrough, the map would screw you over, the next time great opportunities abounded. So it was an adventure and fun. A lot of that has been lost, because it is game unbalancing to give the player opportunities to use the civ’s inherent advantages, when the AI civs are incapable of using theirs. For me, this is far more of a wet blanket than the fact that the AI cannot fight a war competently.

Is there a good mod like Vox Populi that makes the AI non-garbage yet?

(Okay, preferably one that makes the AI halfway decent at least?)