Civilization VI

Do you know if all the civ4 mods require the original steam release of bts? Ashes is the only one I’ve seen to actually mention it. I haven’t played with them enough to know if something is broken when using the final steam release.

Pretty sure I had it working with the final steam release of bts. And I just fired up FFH, and it works with the final release.

Derek “Kael” Paxton worked on that string of games that tried to recreate the Master of Magic magic that FFH2 did, but they all fell pretty flat: Fallen Enchantress, Elemental, Sorcerer King.

Guy seems to be the Game of Thrones showrunner of 4x games: fantastic when he’s adapting an existing work, not so much when coming up from scratch.

I believe Derek was brought in after Elemental released to try and rescue it. There was a posting on the stardock forums mentioned in r/4xGaming that he might be getting another shot at fantasy 4x after their next project.

That’s my recollection as well, he came in and tried to salvage Elemental(and was therefore adapting an existing work in Infested_terran’s terminology). Fallen Enchantress was the result of that, and was a big improvement over base Elemental, but still clearly fell way short of what everyone was hoping for. I thought Sorceror King was the best of the bunch as it basically was a total conversion mod of Elemental/FE that felt like a much tighter design.

And also note that FFH is his own mythology. So not too surprising that it comes through better.

I thought Fallen Enchantress was a very good game and put hundreds of hours into it. The follow-up was even better. I wasn’t a fan of Sorcerer King. It just felt too limited and repetitive.

I haven’t played the Sorceror King games, but I liked the idea of an asymmetrical AI challenge somewhat like the AI War games.

Same.

Apparently the AI got a major rework. Claims that they’ve integrated the Naval AI mod that makes them able to effectively use navies and amphibious invasions. A big needed change given the huge mountain chokepoints on Erebus maps.

So far I’ve noticed that they’ve changed Agrarianism, by far the most overpowered civic in FFH2. Used to be +1 food -1 hammer for farms, making it a no brainer for the majority of the game. Now it’s just +1 hammer. Still good, but no longer the one correct choice.

(the most important improvement I’m hoping for: not having to listen to Loki’s puppets summoned every single turn)

Curious how FFH2 would be adapted to Civ6 and its 1UPT.

A big part of FFH2’s genius in how it expanded options to counter stacks of doom (stack wide spells, assassins). What a damn shame that none of those features were included in Civ5 to fix the SoD instead of going with 1UPT. Double damn shame they doubled down on 1UPT for Civ6 instead of realizing it was way more trouble than it’s worth.

Yeah, great point. That goes for Dune Wars as well, come to think of it. I guess any Civ IV mod would have to be reworked from the ground up to adapt to the stupid one-unit-per-tile design decision. Ugh.

Although I don’t know why I’m complaining, given that Fall from Heaven and Dune Wars are still perfectly cromulent games in the context of Civ IV.

-Tom

I’m not sure if this is a Mac problem, but I have a heck of a time I switch from my 1980x1020 display to the 1440x900 on my laptop. It’s a real pita to change the resolutions in-game when this happens. The launcher won’t let me change the resolution.

Is there an easy way I am missing?

Civ V or Civ VI? Civ V was always felt pretty unstable with multiple resolutions.

Civ VI

I do not think there’s an easy way for it to automatically change to a valid resolution, aside from deleting (or making an option file to swap out) the AppOptions.txt file in ~/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier’s Civilization VI/ folder.

So, does this mean Civ VII is imminent? The words final free make me think it’s near the end, since they group general updates in here.

Hopefully they follow what they did with Civ5 and release the modding tools so the community can fix this one too.

Civ7? I’ll wait until that happens before buying this time. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, JFC what am I doing I’m not going to do that again.

Of course, since this is the internet and we’re supposed to be jaded and cynical bastards, maybe they just mean they’re gonna charge for all the bugfixes and updates after this! :)

It’s hard to imagine that they won’t want to do something / cash in on the 30th anniversary of the series.

I don’t think so. Half of the content they’ve been working on this last year has been free to the community. I think this is just the last drop of that regularly scheduled content.