Civilization VI

So uh, the zombie defense mode is kinda shit.

Apparently the strat here is not to kill the zombies. In fact, don’t kill anyone. Instead, mind control the zombies.

You know, make friends with them.

Yeah, no.

What were the mechanics behind the zombies again? I recall the whole fighting in general tends to create more zombies, but was there even some built in disincentive to trying to wipe out all of the zombies you see?

I haven’t tried the zombie mode yet. When the Portugal pack was released, the game became wildly unstable for me with music skipping, janky animations, game getting slower and slower, along with random hard lockups including on the main menu. I left it alone for a long time figuring there would be a patch. I recently fired up Civ VI to find it doing all the same things even though the game had been updated. A little googling found others with the same problem. The culprit was not the game, it was the 2K launcher. Bypassing the launcher has caused all those problems to go away. What the hell is the launcher doing anyways?

Mining bitcoin. It’s 2K’s new direct monetisation strategy.

Hey Gang,

As it has been clearly established the 2K Launcher is trash, is there any reason I can’t just Ctrl-Alt-Del the Launcher once I start the game up, especially if just playing solo? When I try to close the Launcher from within the program it demands I shut the game down first, but I have good reason to believe this is all bluster, right?

I’m on Steam. You can configure Civ VI to launch the exe of choice (DX 11 or 12) in Steam allowing you to bypass the launcher.

I’ve heard as much but even when I add the path directly to the default DX 11 exe, it still uses the launcher. I think doing a direct path to the DX 12 exe would bypass the launcher, but it’s proven unstable for me.

Odd. The launcher does not appear for me. I am on Windows 10. The path I have is:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamApps\common\Sid Meier’s Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI.exe” %command%

and the Steam overlay and VR options boxes are unchecked.

IS that bitcoin thing for real? (quite honestly I wouldn’t put it past 2K)

It was entirely intended as a joke.

Don’t give anyone (Croberts? :D) any ideas.

Wow, it’s been that long?

What they need to do is adopt Total War armies and battles into a civ game where you start in the stone age and end up in some high-tech age. Also fix their horrifically bad AI.

I wish I could have as much fun playing Civ6 as I did when I played the original Sid Meier’s Civilization.

Sadly, you’ll never be that age again.

Yeah, VI is a failure in my eyes. I just can’t get into it. I’ve got hundreds of hours in V, but not VI.

Feels like we’re due for VII sooner rather than later, anyway. VI is five years old this month already.

CIV VII: We heard you, you didn’t like one unit per hex, so we’re introducing a new tactical innovation: one unit per map! Each turn will still take half an hour as the AI decides where to move it, however.

Silly. It’ll be multiplayer only so they don’t need AI.

It’ll still take half an hour per turn as loot boxes are generated though.

I like 6 more than 5.