Classic Video Game "Book Club" -- Who's in?

Nice! Are you going to do a roundtable discussion on Hangouts or something, or is this strictly forum/text based?

Sounds fun. I’m in.

Totally in. This is a great idea!

Wow, I had no idea Movie Club ran for so long! (In fits and starts it looks like.)

Who ran your fancy randomizing script? At first I thought that was a joke, but then I saw a thread explaining how it worked. It weighted all participants based on how much they contributed to the previous thread.

I’m open to suggestions about how to pick games. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to seeing the list of proposed games up front? I can see how with movies it was fun to get totally blindsided by the next movie that was picked. In theory I liked my idea of randomly picking two and voting on them, but in retrospect I think it might be a hassle to run a poll like that every cycle and I can’t think of how to make it work without making a ton of wasteful threads just for the polling.

tryte – This will just be in the forum here. I will follow the example of the Movie Club run previously: The person who chose the current game creates a thread and introduces the game. Then it’s open season. Spoilers are totally okay. We’ll plan on two weeks per game unless we agree it needs more time or the conversation is still hoppin’ at that point.

I’m interested. Other than Civilization 2, I didn’t play many PC video games until just over a decade ago. So I’ll abstain from recommendations (though I did just pick up Imperialism 2 because of Tom’s article!). I’d love to be part of the discussion, though.

I’m in too. I’m going to have to pick and choose what I play due to availability, but this definitely sounds great.

I AM, however, slightly nervous that doing this will ruin some memories of classics for me.

Well this sounds like a lot of fun, I’m in. And giving the state of my backlog, there’s a high probability that I already own any game picked!

Here are some suggestions:

• Startopia
  • Ultima Underworld
  • Anachronox
  • Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura

All courtesy of my GoG unplayed games! :P

Of games I’ve actually played, I’d very strongly echo the above recommendations of Imperialism II, that game is incredible. Psychonauts is a interesting game too, not sure how many people have played that one. There’s a bunch of other games I could mention, but I assume everyone’s played them already…

I’ll join up but probably won’t participate every single time. It’ll surely give me some targeted motivation to get to some of these older games I’ve always been meaning to play, though, which will be nice.

I’d like to nominate The Last Express, available for $5.99 on GOG.com. Easily my favorite adventure game ever and still holds up remarkably well.

EDIT: It’s also available on Steam, iOS, and Android.

Whoops, forgot the rules when I posted. Only one nomination? Well I’ll go with Startopia then, I only played a couple of hours of Mucky Foot’s space station management game, but I felt it had a lot of potential and was full of character.

Get it on GoG for the low-low price of $5.99.

Yeah, let’s start with one nomination each. I’ll compile these together soon.

Also, forgot to say that obviously I’ve directed this toward PC games because it seems like a platform everyone has with a large back-catalog and accessible digital marketplaces. Would love to extend this to console games, but I think that only limits the participation.

I’m inclined to pick Imperialism II as the first game. I know I was planning on revisiting it. There hasn’t already been too much discussion of it recently with Tom’s front-pager has there?

That’d work for me. Was thinking about taking a run at it in the next couple of weeks anyway, as I criminally neglected it back in the day.

If we’re at the nominating stage already, I’d like to nominate Nox. I actually bought a copy back when it came out and never got around to playing it and now I think I regret it. Supposedly it’s a less loot-focused, more story-based action-RPG. It sounds right up my street.

My vote is for Gabriel Knight 1 or 2.

I am placing high odds on owning many of the games suggested, despite never having gotten around to playing many them. How does the first selection hold up?

Well, what do you know, owned and already installed.

I think my first selection is going to be I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

Should not be too much time investment to get this whole idea off to a good start.

Now I’m excited! What crazy game am I going to end up playing?

There was a period in the late nineties to early two thousands where I played basically no games, it was my grown up phase, didn’t work out. Anyway, there’s so many classic or just wacky games I missed out on. I can’t wait.

One of problems I think were going to face is that if we leave it open for an open vote we’re going to get 20 games with 1 vote and maybe 1 or 2 games with 2 votes. We might want to think about picking from a curated list of like 5 choices or something.

Forgot my nomination as well… always wanted to give this a try but never have, Disciples 2.

Your URL is mangled. Should be Disciples 2.