Classic Video Game "Book Club" -- Who's in?

Voting probably is a bad idea.

I kinda like the movie club random person idea. Let Nightgaunt pick the first game (his idea, he should go first) and then randomly pick the next person. Or let the person who picked the last one pick the next one, or get fancy and base it on participation. Whatever.

Good idea on letting a random person select the next game (as long as they are participating). That way it can be a surprise each time we change games and we don’t even need nominations.

Yep, otherwise a voting system will be too influenced by group nostalgia and the ‘popular’ classics will be more often selected.

Sounds like fun! I’m in if there’s room.

I was thinking of going with GK3 (that’s a game whose reputation is badly in need of repair due to all the cat hair mustache business) but looks like Warning beat me to the punch, plus lots of folks are picking adventure games. Not that I’m complaining, that was my favorite genre back in their heyday.

Yeah, I think I agree. We’ll pick randomly from participants of the previous game’s thread (not counting those who have already picked). So hold your nominations until you are picked! You get to ruminate on them until your name is drawn. (I do like the suggestions so far, though.)

I was going to nominate Infocom’s A Mind Forever Voyaging, but it turns out that’s not available for purchase, dangit.

So since there’s some momentum behind Imperialism II, I’ll make that the kick-off game. (Maybe I’ll still keep my name in the hat to make a personal pick later.)

I’ll make the thread later tonight.

These days, I feel like enough people are willing to deal with emulation that console stuff wouldn’t be a huge issue, but I imagine there are enough people here who wouldn’t be willing to play various console-exclusive games (hyper-fast action stuff, for example) that we’d end up with lower participation for those games than with some of the games already suggested here.

Good to hear we’re going with the “random person picks a game” method, since I would’ve been pretty useless for nominations otherwise.

Okay, now to find a way to squeeze some Imperialism II in to my busy Dark Souls 2 schedule.

Has anyone had luck getting multiplayer to work? I remember trying to give it a go a few years back without much joy.

Yeah I’ll play, anything from back in the day that requires imagination and a bit of cerebral engagement.

My personal preference would be anything from the Bullfrog or Microprose catalogues. No idea how I would choose a favourite from among them.

Dude, that’s an awesome choice, one of my all time favorites. I still have a copy of my Infocom Treasures disc around here somewhere, but it’s probably not legal or ethical for me to try to share that with you guys. I wish someone would make all those games available again, seems like a great option for GOG. Who owns all those now, is it Activision?

Warning: Imperialism 2 on GOG has some comments about not running in Windows 8 and/or 64-bit OS’s.

A Mind Forever Voyaging is available on iOS for the Infocom treasures app. Not sure about other platforms.

Longtime Lurker here. This is a great idea. I would be up for this.

I actually got several boxed DOS games for free from my old high school several years back, including a complete copy of The Lost Treasures of Infocom II (which includes A Mind Forever Voyaging)…but I don’t have a floppy drive. Whoops!

Seems fine on my Win7 x64 machine.

I’d be down with Imperialism 2. It might be a good starting point considering all of the interest it has gotten lately.

I’m into this and it’s a really good idea. Great stuff Nightgaunt keep it up and we won’t vote you off the island.

Yeah, I have the two Lost Treasures of Infocom collections from back in the day. Frankly, you can get most of them from abandonware sites pretty easily. Usually with a game that old, I don’t have too many qualms about that. But I didn’t want to foist that ethical conundrum on anyone else.

Vesper – For some reason I didn’t think it was in the iOS app! Well, that’s cool. And Suspended is in there too! I downloaded that way back when. Wonder what it costs to get those two games.

Imperialism 2 looks like the sort of game I’d normally pass over due to the lack of spaceships or dragons (or spaceship flying dragons), so I might just give it a shot. (and thanks Nightgaunt!)

I’m in. I will play anything.