Classic Video Game "Book Club" -- Who's in?

I wonder how they are doing this legally. They have the entire MAME archive too, free for anyone to download.

Their “showcaase” of historically interesting or important games is… weird. No, don’t pick Wolfenstein 3D to put on that list. Or Street Fighter. Or Lode Runner. Just to name a few games that are in the archive.

Or what about the Terminator PC game that was crazy ambitious at the time and is basically 3D Grand Theft Auto, six years before the first GTA.

I mean, yeah…but they may well be limited in what they got permission to put up. I’m assuming they got permission, since many of the games are restricted to streaming only.

bump Hey Nightgaunt, about time to pick a new decider eh?

Cave Story was a good pick, I know I enjoyed it, but I don’t think there is anything more people have to say at this point though.

Oh, hell. I’ve really been dropping the ball all over the place. I coulda swore we were only a week in. Sorry, things have been crazy/shitty at work recently. Will pick someone later today!

Ha, no worries. I have the same problems. Besides the delay has given me more time for Valkyria Chronicles :)

Okay, sorry, everyone, for completely losing track of time. The last two weeks flew by in a haze of stressful work meetings and the rupturing of my infected eardrum! There was some Cave Storying in there, too, which was more pleasant than those other two things.

I stood in a dark bathroom, stared at the mirror and spoke the name that should not be named (Deus Ex) three times. Slowly blood seeped down the silvery surface and spelled the name of the next Decider…

Tim James!

Tim, I’ve sent you a PM with some guidelines. Just let me know if you can’t or don’t want to play. Look forward to your pick!

I guess it’ll finally be time to play Doom!

Hah I’m considering some other ones but it feels like it’s time to get it out of the way.

If it is going to be Doom, I hope you have nice instructions on how to get it to run on one of those modern engines. I think I did that with Quake on the advice of Qt3, just a few years ago, and I had a blast playing through Quake for the first time. Until I accidentally found a secret level and it got too insanely hard for me to finish.

So, Tim? To DOOM or not to DOOM? Or are you still thinking about it?

Sorry for the delay. I was waiting on McMaster and then I had writer’s block. Let’s play Doom and get a discussion going.

To pick the next Decider, I put everyone’s name in a hat, swirled it around, lit the hat on fire, fed it to a lion, flew the lion to Guatemala, and asked for the middle name of the first person it mauled and the name was:

sharaleo!

You have most of the weekend to decide, sharaleo (Doom’s time is up on Sunday night). More time if you need it, of course. I sent you a PM with a few guidelines on the picking/posting process.

Looking forward to the next game. And thanks, Tim James, for giving us the jolt of pure retro shooter with Doom!

Yeah, wish I could have played. This has long been on my ‘really should have played by now’. Unfortunately work has been nuts, and two classes means I’ve had a whopping… 1 hour of game time the last two weeks. So I never got the chance to load up Doom. Perhaps in the future, once this term ends.

That’s all right. It’s easy to pick up and play. Maybe get everything set up correctly so you can play when the mood strikes.

I love this club, but I’m only going to play games that I haven’t played which have been on my backlog or otherwise interest me, as there’s a few hundred of those anyway, and I can only realistically play 6 or 7 games a year. But I wish I could support it more. Loved DOOM back in the day but played it plenty already.

Sharaleo? Hello, are you there? Just want to know which game I’m not going to have time to play this week ;)

Now that I’ve escaped from the clutches of Minecraft, I’m in.

I think I have made my selection, should be up a little later today.

And away we go!