Cliff Bleszinski says he's done making games

Huh - certainly unexpected. I checked the page and his Twitter thread and it looks like he’s not officially a producer but brought on as an investor.

PUBG gutted PUBG. I and my buddies stopped playing after more than a year of nearly nightly sessions because it was still janky as hell and it was obvious the devs didn’t give half a shit and were way out of their depth anyway, but we sure as shit didn’t start playing Fortnite, which we tried once and hated. We can’t be the only ones.

Is there a world I’m not aware of where this means something other than “idiot with money”?

PUBG hit over a million concurrents on PC every day in the last week except Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. On those days it only got 970k. I don’t think it was gutted by anything.

You aren’t. I stopped immediately after a couple rounds of taking a headshot from a mile away while in the middle room of a house where there was no LOS. Cheating is an instant de-motivator for me. Played Fortnite with my son a couple times but never grabbed me.

Though, having said that, stusser is probably more correct than our anecdotes would say. It did take a good chuck of the playerbase.

Less than a third of its peak. It’s gutted from what it was but still bigger than practically anything but Fortnite.

Is there hard data on this? Aside from the basic BR concept they feel like not even remotely comparable games to me. I moved to playing Hunt, which feels closer to PUBG to me than Fortnite does (although lamentably 2-player only; 3p would be ideal for me).

Hard data? Please. It’s the same game. But Fortnite is much less janky and most importantly, free to play.

FWIW:
PUBG starts decline in January:
https://steamcharts.com/app/578080

Fortnite begins meteoric rise at same time:

Absolutely not.

Yeah, absolutely, except it obviously is and anyone saying otherwise is being silly.

Saying PUBG is the same game as Fortnite is like saying The Witcher 3 is the same game as Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.

Wait. It’s not?

No. The Witcher 3 and AC:O are in the same genre, open-world action RPGs, and that’s where the similarities end.

Fortnite is much closer to PUBG than that, it’s a superset of PUBG, the same gameplay with extra building and resource stuff on top. You may think the building and resource stuff is transformative or whatever, but the bones underneath are identical.

That’s called “making a different game”

Why would you do that. The big money is in cloning AAA games!

Hey have you guys heard of this Blizzard company?

You spelled Activision wrong.

Fixed.

The innovators behind of Heroes of the Storm? I’ve heard of them!

That’s not a great example, because Blizzard ambitiously innovated within the MOBA genre, tons of various game modes, different maps, etc. Same genre for sure, but it isn’t “the same game”. Now DoTA2 vs LoL, on the other hand, there’s a much closer one.