Co-op/multiplay FPS idea

I liked the co-op mode in Operation Flashpoint where a dead player can take over one of the remaining AI soldiers. You still had to be careful about dying as there weren’t usually that many of them, but if you got unlucky in the beginning of a mission at least you’d still get a chance to play.

If you’re still alive, it’d be amusing to have an additional readout showing 1.) how many people are watching your character and 2.) what the majority thinks you should be doing (e.g. “stop camping”, “defend the objective”, “keep doing what you’re doing”, etc.).

• Alan

Simple and fun. I like it.

ProStyle, I guess the message here is that you’re just arrogant. You think that the way you want to play is the way everyone wants to play.

I don’t typically like fast click RTS games, but obviously tons of people do. that doesn’t mean I say “the entire genre is a design flaw”, it means I don’t like those kinds of games.

Grow up, you l33t sk@ter.

Oh, sorry I hurt your feelings by encroaching on your thread. I thought we were talking about games.

It’s funny, because the only interesting references are game modes in which the dead players are allowed to play again. Via AI surrogates, what have you. Amazing.

The only other suggestions are, as stated earlier, absolute window dressing. It has nothing to do with mechanics, and would actually obfuscate the gameplay to a ridiculous degree. Half the people who play CS can’t even keep track of their own inventory, let alone how many people are observing them and what they “should be doing” or if they should be “showboating” - now or later? What about now? Are they watching me yet? TH3 PR3SSUR3!11!!ONE

An interesting side note here is CS had a sprite that animated on spectators positions and could be toggled. It was ridiculous and it was removed within a version.

Which is also hilarious, considering the topic at hand is about being dead and having nothing to do or observe. Huh.

Look, I don’t really care either way, but you can keep the insults to yourselves. I didn’t mean to seem caustic, it’s just the way I interpreted the conversation. If you can’t relate without trying to kick me off some pedestal I’ve been super-imposed upon then that’s not my problem.

I can’t see round play of this style progressing outside of the small scale military FPS combat games. As it’s currently implemented, I believe it’s not applicable or conducive to more dynamic scenarios and loftier team objectives. You can attribute that to whatever you please, but I assure you it is not arrogance.

On that very subject, at face value - which proposition would fit that definition? The suggestion that players should have more abilities and feedback related to showboating for a captive audience - or the idea that everyone should be playing? Seems like I’m on the side of the layman here, rather than the elitist.

Odd that you’d mention it, I just so happen to have a gross of Bung Guns that you may find lucratively priced…