College football 2019

So I’ll start the New Years thread with the first big news.

Jalen Hurts transfers to Oklahoma.

A school with a recent history of passing QB’s? That’s not necessarily a great place for Hurts to end up.

Looks at coaching staff. Clay Helton is still head coach. See you in 2020 boys!

Oh my god.

Um, is there a college football connection I’m missing?

Look at the poster.

Oh! Didn’t realize Miles was so versatile. :)

QUANTIFY YOUR RESULTS!

1. Bad acting (reasonably justified assumption without actually watching) + bad coaching.

The reddit thread is fun

Both Mayfield and Murray ran a lot.

True, and they both will get drafted for their passing ability. I don’t see that happening with Hurts.

I do think Hurts could be a good QB, I just don’t know if you were a program that flourished by throwing the ball you would look to Hurts as the next best option.

So Mizzou just got an anvil dropped on its head. NCAA has given them a 1-year ban on postseason for football (and baseball and women’s softball), recruiting restrictions, and an order to vacate wins over a span of time.

The background:

A few years ago, a tutor in the program that Mizzou–like many power five conference schools–runs for student athletes came to the then-athletic department and said she’d been doing homework and even completing take-home tests for students she was working with. 12 athletes across 3 sports. She basically asked for a promotion to keep quiet.

Mizzou responded by notifying the NCAA of the violations going on. They conducted their own internal investigation. The 12 players involved were removed from the teams or suspended.

The NCAA’s own investigation found that the tutor was acting on her own and was not instructed to help students cheat. They discovered no pattern of cheating or improper assistance within the program. They distinguished between the Mizzou athletic department academic violations and the North Carolina academic violations by noting that Mizzou reported the violations, admitted them, and cooperated. North Carolina did not.

If you’ll remember, North Carolina got off scot-free.

Mizzou’s football program just got what is likely to be something of a death penalty.

They’re going to appeal, obviously.

(The tutor involved, the NCAA notes, repeatedly threatened to violate confidentiality agreements with investigators, and now has a 10-year show-cause penalty…as if any school was ever going to hire her in the first place.)

The North Carolina case is forever going to be a stain on the NCAA’s reputation.

But we all know how the NCAA works.

“Uh, oh. Looks like Alabama was caught cheating. I really feel sorry when the NCAA takes it out on Stephan F. Austin State University.”

One national writer pointed out that the tutor’s 10-year show-cause penalty is the same that was given to former Baylor coach Dave Bliss – who got his penalty for trying to frame a murder victim on his team.

While having a one year ban would suck, how would that be considered the death penalty? It would suck for recruiting for this next year, to be sure, but it’s not like a four year ban.

The NCAA is recommending a waiver of all senior transfer restrictions, and also allowing recruits who signed a letter of intent to escape those.

The football team is going to be senior-heavy next year, and has a good recruiting class coming in. That all gets hit hard.

NCAA Committee On Infractions pointed out that because Mizzou cooperated, their agreement that infractions took place created pre-ordained penalties as applied.

National writers call them out on that:

The NCAA is insane.