Color changing speakers - cool or dopey?

I read about these speakers Logitech is coming out with - the speakers have at least a couple of LEDs in each speaker (one illuminates the speaker and one points behind it so you can bounce light off the wall). The LEDs can be programmed to colorize according to specific sections of the screen, so you can more-or-less coordinate your color scheme with what’s happening on the monitor. You get 2 speakers and a subwoofer and a USB cable for $200, so I’m betting the quality is more… casual than enthusiast (which I’m fine with).

Could this be considered a sort of bias lighting?

I don’t have any external speakers so I was thinking about these. But I can’t decide if they are cool or dumb!

Yeah there is a box like this that grabs frames from HDMI in real time and tries to match the background bias lighting. I’ll need to dig it up. Dreamscreen, ambiscreen, lightpack, lightberry it looks like…

Not super convinced it’s that amazing of an effect…

If you can’t decide whether color changing speakers are cool or dumb, let me introduce you to the concept of RAM with color-changing lights on:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018GK2G9S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(I own these - not because I wanted lit-up RAM, but because they were better reviewed and only $5 more than the lower-end RAM I last purchased. RAM prices are crazy these days.)

Do you have a see-through case? If not, does it bother you that inside of your case it’s flashing like a disco and no one is seeing it? I think I would find that upsetting.

Good god I hate LEDs on every damn thing on computers nowadays. I need a small, dim power light and that’s it, man. I remember my last case? That fucking front LED was brighter than the goddamn sun, nevermind the ones strung up to the built in case fans…

I don’t. I am firmly on the “this is dumb” side of the issue.

How else do you see your music?

Preach.

The worst offender by far is the 4G Wi-fi hotspot thingy I got from Verizon that I use on the road. It has a super-bright blue LED that pulsates on and off as long as the thing is turned on, and stays solidly lit blazing away any time it’s plugged in and charging. As far as I can find, the LED is unturnoff-able.

God I hate that thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Masking-240877-Black-94-Inch/dp/B00TOW5Y88/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1521224155&sr=8-4

Hey if you jokers want to complain about your light admitting crap make your own threads! I still need more input on the speakers. Aside from one of the seven dwarfs not many people have weighed in.

Fair enough. I’ll weigh in on the “dopey” side of things.

But full disclosure, I’d recommend against almost any boxed computer speaker system, as those tiny satellites make real compromises in audio quality. For under $200 you can get a pair of decent bookshelf speakers (plus a mini amp if you opt for a passive model), and everything will sound vastly better. Use the leftover money to stick a lava lamp on top of each one, and you’re set!

Oops, sorry.

I’m not quite sure I totally understand the concept. Are these lights purely aesthetic? If so, it seems like something that would appeal mostly to teenage boys. Real men buy real speakers.

GODDAMN RIGHT

I fucking hate the RGB trend.

My headset is RGB, for no reason at all. I don’t see it. I guess if I played in the dark I might see the glows off the wall or something. Not a fan of the trend but also the added expense. I don’t know why everything with the word gamer or gaming has to have lights now.

Motherboards, cases, RAM and now speakers with RGB are dumb.

Mine as well. But I turn it off. They are great headphones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M16Y46E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Speakers? Dopey.

When I bought my son a new computer desk, I did the cheapy LED strip bias lighting for him as a gimmick. It was actually nice enough that I bought some for myself too. Granted, this is $20 or so, not $200 speakers. But the effect is more worthwhile than I expected. I’m a miserly bastard though, so maybe this is just my mid-life crisis. Some people do Porsche’s, I do bias lighting. Whatever. Get off my lawn.

It’s not really the bias lighting that is in question, the beneftis of traditional bias lighting are clear… it’s the “screen color matching bias lighting” that is kinda dopey IMO