Color Out of Space is…something. Definitely something.

It would be so cool if they start to adapt more HPL stories. Netflix could throw some of its money. The Dunwich Horror could be modernized in the same way as this, I guess, but for stuff like Call of Chuthlu or At the Mountains of Madness I would prefer to keep the historical setting.

Richard Stanley said this was a trilogy in the Q&A our showing had afterwards. I confess I don’t remember which Lovecraft story he cited as being in the works next, but there is a decent chance you will get your wish.

You’re in luck!

(spoiler: he’d working on a Dunwich Horror screenplay already)

Oh dear lord let it show the horrors. Makeup, CGI, animatronic, I don’t care. Just show us the horror! It can work. The two main ones come far enough into the story for a reveal to work. The story itself holds back the reveals. It just works.

Whisperer in the Darkness or GTFO

-Tom

I’m so bummed. A snowstorm stopped my viewing of this film today.

Snow is a dick.

-Tom

Man, that was fucking awesome.

I screened this last night for my 40 screenwriting students and they FLIPPED THE FUCK OUT. Especially at the mother/son fusion and when Benny climbs in the well. It was hilarious.

The most creepy part of that wasn’t even the visuals, it was the sound design. For some reason, it tweaked some primal part of my psyche into feeling incredibly uncomfortable.

Finally saw this and it was glorious. I agree about the sound design. It’s an inspired choice to have the color be something people can “hear” as well. Also, I don’t think I’m ever going to forget the alpaca beast.

They really leaned into this one.

I thought all the sound design was excellent. It gave another dimension to the color in scenes like that. But there’s plenty of other great sound work like Cheech’s recording.

I think this would have given the movie a slightly different tone. :)

-Tom

Cheech, Chong, can’t keep track anymore. Honestly the movie is so out there my ability to form a coherent sentence after watching it should be lauded.

After Nic Cage, loving alpaca caregiver, I’m not sure anything would have been too weird late in the movie.

Yeah. A bit.

Watched this as a $3 HD rental on Amazon, if anyone is interested.