Comcast advice

I’m currently at 49.99 a month, but that is Internet only. With the Peacock box. I’m sharing Disney, Hulu (with ads) and Netlix with my older and Prime. I still think all that adds up to a lot less then 260 a month though.

Oh yeah. Pricing is very localized it seems. And naturally, based on competition. Comcast has the monopoly on hard-wired cable here; there is literally no one else, and unless you live inside the city of Burlington with its own formerly municipal FIOS setup, it’s Comcast, satellite, or occasionally some old DSL which no one wants or uses.

The plan we are on is ancient, and needs to be renegotiated. It’s on my summer list of to-dos, in between teaching and house maintenance and game playing (the latter being mandated by my mental health!). It involves actually calling Comcast and trying to figure out the plan options, as the website is deliberately I think obtuse and useless.

Part of the issue is all of the upcharges on TV, like HD, HD DVR, you-can’t-get-that-channel-without-this-channel bullshit. I need to sit down with my wife and figure out what we watch, and if we can stream it and dispense with regular TV. Can you get stuff like Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy (we are game show junkies) without having cable? And basic wouldn’t work–I ain’t watching anything without HD. We DVR EVERYTHING, too, and it is very convenient, even if that HD DVR upcharge sucks.

If you can cut just the cable portion you will probably save yourself a decent chunk of change. I know I lost a few channels switching from DISH to SlingTV, but the $60 saved every month for the loss of like 2 channels I watched, was a no brainer. As long as you don’t have data caps.

Yeah, that is my thinking. I have to find out about data caps, both soft and hard. So far we have never had any cap issues, and we pound the hell out of our internet connection constantly. Losing channels is not my call, though. For that, I answer to a Higher Power (i.e., Mrs. Wombat).

I have comcast internet-only sub and then stream youtubeTV, Prime, and HBO Max. That’s more than enough for us, YT carries the local affiliates, and I disconnect YT-TV every summer for a couple of months when we barely use it to save some money. All this is done via a Roku on our main TV and the kids and I also stream on our computers.

We only came close to the Comcast data cap (that they then canceled) when I had all three kids home doing remote learning and myself home for remote work. Otherwise, we’ve usually been a few hundred GB under the 1,2 TB cap.

Does the Roku or something else replace the Comcast DVR box?

YT-TV has a very good built-in DVR app. It also allows many users at the same time (I think 5) and they all can see whatever is saved.

The Roku or Fire Stick or Apple thingy, whatever you use doesn’t matter (though right now, YT and Roku are having a spat, so probably best to use something else). The comcast DVR designed in 1955 can go right back to them.

Another way to save is to buy your own modem. Comcast publishes a list of supported cable modems Device Info - Xfinity

YouTubeTV’s DVR is what keeps me from leaving them despite price hikes because it is really, really good. You get unlimited storage although I think the recordings are kept for 6 months. You can also record HUGE numbers of shows/sports. Any MLB, NFL, NBA, etc. game that airs I can record through YTTV’s dvr and I just literally (for example) tell the dvr to add NFL to my recordings. If you have favorite college teams, you can tell the dvr to record anything related to those teams that airs (same thing with professional sports teams).