Comcast Xfinity Was Hacked. Change Your Passwords

If you have an Xfinity account, change your password. Especially if you also use an Xfinity router.

Comcast is notifying Xfinity customers of a “data security incident” it says resulted in the theft of customer information, including usernames, passwords, contact information, partial social security numbers, and more. In a notice on Monday, Xfinity said “there was unauthorized access” to its systems from October 16th to October 19th, 2023.

Hm, when I went to their website I was prompted to change my password first thing. At least they’re getting that right.

Yeah changed mine for sure.

Ironically, last month I had an uneasy feeling about my Comcast password. It wasn’t that complex, and I discovered that if you have an Xfinity router that the router password is your Comcast account. So I changed it to a much more complex password generated by Bitlocker. And the this news broke today. I guess I have spidey password senses. Thankfully, I just logged into my account and did not have to change my password again.

Weird. I received no notification from Comcast, and wasn’t prompted to change my password.

I’m ditching them in 10 days, but changed the damn password anyway. Frickin’ Comcast.

Before everyone starts throwing Comcast under the bus, it was a Citrix vulnerability that led to the hack.

They way they communicate annoys me so much.

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 2.16.47 PM

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 2.17.05 PM

Don’t get me started on the “Price changes in 2024” page.

It could be that . . . or maybe you’re the hacker?!

I’m safe as far as Comcast goes. I just switched to Xfinity a week ago. Of course that doesn’t mean much as I’ve received probably 5 data breach notices from various companies, including my health care provider which had some credit card info stored. Not coincidentally, I just had my Amazon credit card used for an unauthorized charge. Fortunately, my bank put a hold on the charge and contacted me about it. They stopped the charge and closed the account transferring it to a new card. Data thieves are the ultimate assholes.

They locked my account and forced a pw change too.

My Xfinity email gets a veritable ton of spam and scam emails daily. I really hate it.