Comedy Podcasts?

Think I might have discovered what to do with my increasingly moribund iPod Touch - a TAH archive device.

I’m a few months behind on WTF. I just listened to the Chris O’Dowd episode from August, and it was lovely. As I was listening to his description of growing up in Boyle where his father was a sign maker, and he had four older sisters, I was thinking “wow, so Moone Boy was completely his life”. I did not know that.

I hope eventually we get to see more Moone Boy one day.

So, I’m starting to feel the absence of Spontaneanation pretty hard. Anyone got any recommendations for high quality improv shows along more or less the same lines, other than the obvious (CBB, Superego, Improv4Humans, Off Book).

Relatedly, I wish someone would curate an RSS feed of Podcasts Featuring Paul F Tompkins Laughing Off-Mic. There’s no laugh more infectious.

I half-remember hearing that they were going to be doing WorkJuice Improv as a monthly live show…? I wish they’d release those as podcasts if so.

Yeah, I had the same thought. He’s also doing a two man show with Mark Evan Jackson I’d dearly love to hear. I’m sure there are bootleg recordings somewhere on the internet, but I’d like it to be official.

Some really interesting discussion of the state of podcast monetisation, Luminary and the coming podcast wars in the last couple of Vergecasts.

James Adomian has a new podcast

Travis McElroy and Janet Varney are doing some kind of liveshow this Thursday. Details (more to come) at MaxFun:

Not technically a podcast, but lots of podcast people. I always kind of resented missing out on Sketchfest and now they’re doing a livestream version. Ostensibly it’s a fundraiser for Sketchfest rather than Sketchfest itself, but it’s as close as I’m going to get, and as close as anyone will this year.

Saturday 30 January.

I’ve been listening to the WTF podcast since the beginning. I absolutely love it. But my last hiatus from the podcast was long enough that I actually fell too far behind to catch up with the free 50 episodes on the website. D’oh! Back in the day when I fell behind like that, I signed up for a year of his WTF app, which was perfect for catching up, then he transferred to an existing app that had a really bad interface for catching up with old podcasts, so I stopped subscribing and just went with the free episodes.

Anyway, I wrote down the four episodes I missed and moved on. And I’m now caught up to just after the election, through the Frank Langella episode last night. I have to say this string of episodes he’s had since Lyn’s passing has been really, really good. The topic doesn’t always turn to grief and death, but it often does, and I’m just really enjoying all the different perspectives on how people handle it, and it’s been almost voyeuristic to hear Marc handle it himself.

Anyway, I just wanted to note, that I didn’t think it was possible to be even more in love with the WTF podcast, but it was possible!

A dark day for MBMBAM:

I’ll have to mine this thread again. Ever since I stopped using Pocketcast when they did their update back in 2018 or so, I haven’t been listening to podcasts. So I’m not sure which ones I used to listen to.

Now when I play Microsoft Flight Simulator, I was about 50 episodes behind on the WTF podcast, but I completely caught up. And now instead of just waiting for Mondays and Thursdays for a new episode, I figure I should find something else to listen to on those long flights.

I’ll probably try Alice Frasier’s Trilogy first, since Ginger recommended it not once but twice in this thread.

Fraser. She has a new podcast, the Gargle, which is a spin-off of the Bugle, on which she is a regular guest. And as far as you’re concerned, she has another new podcast, The Last Post, which ran as a daily podcast (well, Sundays were clip shows) for the whole of 2020, which is a frankly monumental effort. It’s now appearing every few weeks.

Fraser. She has a new podcast, the Gargle, which is a spin-off of the Bugle, on which she is a regular guest. And as far as you’re concerned, she has another new podcast, The Last Post, which ran as a daily podcast (well, Sundays were clip shows) for the whole of 2020, which is a frankly monumental effort. It’s now appearing every few weeks.

She’s so nice you mentioned her twice. :)

Wow, wasn’t expecting that. Today’s CBB has an extended riff on the “I’m looking for Gavin” NPC from Red Dead 2.

New season of The Neighbourhood Listen starts today!

The last ever episode of Answer Me This just aired, alas. I hate it when comedy podcasts go away.

Agreed. I still miss “How to do Everything” so very much.

So, the inevitable has happened. Scotty Auks is kinda sorta spinning off from Stitcher and doing a subscription Comedy Bang Bang World.

New CBB episodes will still appear on the usual feed, but ad free versions and archives of CBB and certain related podcasts (eg Talking TMNT) are going to be behind a new paywall, and they’re also going to be doing new podcasts/episodes. Confirmed are another show with Sprague the Whisperer (Shaun Diston) about movies Scott hasn’t seen, and… new Bonanas for Bonanza! and, I think, more Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project stuff. I assume Threedom will be there, and I’m hoping stuff like The Neighbourhood Listen goes too so I can drop Stitcher completely. I’ve been wanting to listen to the TMNT show so I’ll definitely sub for the initial month.