Comic Book Recommendations

Wonder Woman comes from a very strange society that is a separatist society that actually refused to have anything to do with men for 3,000 years."

Sorry for my ignorance of comic lore but… how that would work? magic?

Basically. I think the old comics had the island of Themyscira shrouded in magic clouds or something.

Based on the cover, that was what I was expecting. I thought the artist did a great job with WW’s facial expression, sort of a “you know I’m only staying in these chains 'cause I feel like it” vibe.

At one point, baby Diana Prince was molded out of clay, not born. But I think that’s been re-written a few times.

Last I saw, it was retconned into that being the cover story for the Queen’s dalliance with Zeus.

Multiverse!

This is possibly technically more relevant to that one webcomic thread, but since it’s going into print:

For the last several years, Jason Shiga has been doing a comic called Demon here (http://www.shigabooks.com/index.php?page=001). It was scheduled to be 720 pages precisely. Page 720 went up today. It’s finally complete. And now is the time to check it out if you want to read it since everything after chapter 1 will be taken offline in July when the first print collection goes on sale. It is a hell of a ride. Lots of Death Note-esque scheming and feuding, complicated metaphysics, silly jokes, and utter depravity. Not for the easily offended, but well worth the read if you’re okay with that.

Holy cats, dude… that was … something. Thanks for the head’s up, I can’t decide whether I’m better for having read that, but I’m still glad I did.

I’ve been ready Oddly Normal via Comixology, and loving it.

Also, what are some good non-Superhero comics on Marvel unlimited, or if it’s a superhero comic where I only have to go back a year or so to start the plotlines as a newbie.

Matt Fraction’s Daredevil run is a great more-or-less standalone story, for a Marvel superhero book. And people seem to love the new Ms Marvel. To be honest, I don’t really read a lot of Marvel stuff though. If you’re looking for non-superhero books, you’re probably better off with Image.

Is Aliens Omnibus Vol 1 worth $7 (on sale now)

I haven’t read his Daredevil run, but Fraction’s Hawkeye is freaking amazing and probably is on Unlimited by now.

It isn’t that I don’t like superhero comics, it’s that I’m not even sure where to begin. I started reading Civil War and it became apparent that I needed to know way more backstory than I did.

Image is a little too obsessed with being edgy on the trendy side, and I often find their stories and characters flat but obnoxious. I’ve had a much better time with Vertigo, and more so again delving into actual label-less indies and Euro comics. I know that’s not super helpful, but if you backtrack you can find plenty of recommendations earlier in the thread. (speaking to Mark Crump)

I thought they’re rebooting a different superhero everday? You should only have to read last week’s issue to get the origin story.

Sorry, I meant Hawkeye. Drunk posting fail.

I don’t follow Marvel all that closely so I wouldn’t have batted an eye at the idea they’d had Fraction write an awesome run on Daredevil.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I did finish Rat Queens. That was awesome.

I was thinking of Marvel Unlimited mainly to get my comic fix for cheap. I love Image, Vertigo, and Zenescope’s comics, but I’m trying to not spend $50/month on comics.

I’m not exactly succeeding at that, mind you.

Apparently Rat Queens is going on haitus after issue 16 this week.

Dammit, I loved that series.

Aw, crap. So is Saga.Still, at least Barrier issue 2 is out soon.

So, the pre-haitus Rat Queens came out today, and I’m bummed.

It’s a great episode, but it’s clearly the start of a new character arc, and it’s unlikely we will see the end of it. I just wished he’d either have run out this story arc, or just stopped at issue 15.