Comic Book Recommendations

I haven’t read a comic since the Asterix comics up to the late 80s.

Is the Humble Manga Bundle something you guys would recommend? I do love the Attack on Titan Anime. And it looks we’re never going to get Season 2, so maybe I should read the Manga?

I don’t know a lot about manga, but this appears to be a marginal publisher. Shonen Jump it ain’t. Might be fine stuff, but its not the mainstream stuff my kids were reading in middle school.

I read some of Space Brothers, and thought it was pretty good. It’s about a guy trying to follow in his brothers footsteps and become an astronaut for JAXA.

The thing about manga is one or two volumes doesn’t get you that far. A Crunchyroll membership includes access to a lot more volumes for most of those titles that you can read in their free app.

Sent from my Nexus7 2012 3G using Tapatalk

Yeah, I haven’t read it yet, but I’ve been keeping up on things fairly well on Twitter. It’s really strange. One day, this whole arc was planned out, he was in, his artist was in. Then suddenly, out of the blue, everything is on hiatus, his artist and inker are canned. Like one day it’s we have the next arc planned and looking forward to things, then over night everyone is canned and the book is in Limbo.

No idea what happened and naturally no one is really talking much since it could easily be professional suicide. I get the impression it’s all on his end by some of the hints Tess (the artist for 10-16) dropped, but nothing definitive.

Maybe he really wants to make more D20Babe videos or something. I have no fucking idea what happened, but it was kind of heartbreaking watching Tess get blindsided by it. He has some other book he’s talking about now, it’s almost like RQ never existed on his end. So strange.

Yep.

I also feel bad Tess is getting crap for both a storyline people thought was underwhelming and the haitus. He’s said RQ will return, and he needs to creatively regroup. I have zero idea what goes into comic book creation. I kinda assumed he had the story arc plotted out, but maybe he’s making it up as he goes along.

This is almost the Spinal Tap of comics. The first artist got busted for domestic assault. The second artist had health issues.

Oh, so when you said hiatus you meant indefinite. Fuck. Thankfully Saga is not in that situation.

The new comics Humble Bundle is Garth Ennis’ Dynamite work.

The top tier of $15 will get you a complete run of The Boys, Volumes 1 through 12 (including the minis, which were not in the Omnibus editions), and some Jennifer Blood, The Shadow, and Battlefields. You will likely not have another opportunity to get a full run of The Boys for this little cash.

Fair Warning: The Boys is a story about hero-hunters with very personal motivations. It is profane, ultra-violent, sexually graphic, and otherwise brutal. It started as a Wildstorm book, but they couldn’t handle it. But it’s pretty damn good if that’s not going to scare you off. The first four volumes are PWYW if you want to dip a toe, if Vol 4 doesn’t put you off the book, you are probably good to go.

Well, I really enjoyed ‘Just a Pilgrim’, which was fairly rough subject matter, and loved the ‘Battler Britton’ miniseries as a tight little war story (Colin Wilson art sure didn’t hurt neither), so I imagine I’ll pick this up… my one frustration is our ten inch tablet conked out and the nexus 7 is just too small for me to enjoy comic reading on it. But I imagine one day I’ll have a bigger tablet and I’ll have these waiting for me on it. Or I’ll stay late one night here at work and print the f*ckers out on the laser-jet.

So, apparently Roc Upchurch is coming back to Rat Queens which is part of the reason for the hiatus. Which sucks for Tess, but at least I get why it happened.

It’s pretty shitty.

They really screwed her over, which explains why she was so upset initially. Especially since it’s so likely Upchurch is a piece of shit, but he’s an original founder and all that. Still, bleh. Makes me not want to really read the thing anymore knowing everyone involved is basically a huge asshole.

I’m still going to keep reading it.

I’ve long ago made my peace that the creators of art I like are often pieces of shit.

Comixology is offering a subscription service for $5.99 a month (US only for now). Participating publishers include Image Comics, Dark Horse Comics, IDW Publishing, BOOM! Studios, Oni Press, Archie Comics, Valiant Entertainment, Fantagraphics Books. Not clear what proportion of their libraries will be included though. It’s definitely not full catalogue and new issues aren’t included.
CBR:

At launch, comiXology Unlimited includes selections from some of the highest-profile non-Marvel or DC series of the past few years, such as Image Comics hits “Saga,” “Lazarus,” “Outcast,” “Fatale,” “Chew,” “Sex Criminals,” “Bitch Planet” and “The Wicked + The Divine”; licensed books from IDW including “Transformers,” “My Little Pony,” “Star Trek” and “G.I. Joe”; Dark Horse’s continuation of Joss Whedon-created television series “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Serenity”; standout series “Attack on Titan,” “Lumberjanes,” “Hip Hop Family Tree,” “Locke & Key,” “Scott Pilgrim,” “Letter 44,” “Princeless” and “Wuvable Oaf”; plus classics like “Hellboy,” “Lone Wolf and Cub,” “Love and Rockets” and “The Complete Peanuts.” While some series, like Dark Horse’s “B.P.R.D.,” have upwards of a dozen issues available via the service at launch, and Archie fans can peruse dozens of classic issues, others, like “Saga” or “Outcast,” are limited to their first story arc.

Not including new issues right away makes perfect sense but for it to be valuable it needs to offer more than one trade worth of any given series, especially ones that are complete.

So, after a quick skim of my regular reads, it seems most series are included, and have the first five or six issues available, though a handful have many more. None have the most recent two issues available. Probably a good way to explore new comics for a month or two then, but not one to keep active permanently.

The Comixicology Unlimited sub has a 30 day trial; very cool. As soon as I finish what I have purchased I will give it a try.

I signed up for the trial and was also disappointed that most series are not fully available. I was hoping to catch up on the middle section of the Walking Dead but it wasn’t there. Even so I’ve wanted to read Hellboy and Lone Wolf and Cub and there were a few of those available so I’ll give it a shot. Long term though I see myself getting frustrated at not being able to finish a series without buying a few books.

Most of what I would read on the Unlimited service I already have, but they have a healthy supply of Atomic Robo that I’ve been wanting to read. When time permits, I’ll use the free trial to sample that book.

I imagine Comixology is a bit more convenient, but Atomic Robo is also run as a web comic that’s free and has the complete archive available:

The new Flintstones comic is amazing.