Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations ("The Harpoon that Never Was")

Oh come on guys. It’s not like he’s spamming us with annoying LOOKIT MY GEHM! spam.

But go on, run him off. We don’t want games industry people in here, do we? Just us old farts circlejerking over the same old DOS-era shit.

@Dimitris I enjoy keeping abreast of what you are working on and how your game is progressing. I think it’s a very special, very interesting one and this place would be all the poorer for letting it sink in oblivion.

Good. Knowing you, and what you like this most definitively is not for you.
So mute this thread and fuck off.

Daaannnnggggg

Uncalled for and not cool, fam.

Here’s the argument: got something neat to say about the game you represent? Some inside info, some tactics and the like? Cool. Mix that in. Which is what Dimitris did initially. But for years now, it’s basically been “hey, buy our new cereal” and nothing else. Which gets shut down for other shillers.

Maybe just reminding Dimitris of this is okay.

I think it’s fine, it’s such a unique a game and I don’t mind having a rep here even if mainly a sales rep. :)

I mean he does answer stuff about the game when people ask, just no-one has asked much lately.

Not that dissimilar to Steven Peeler in the Drox 2 thread… ;)

I understand your annoyance.

We provide more regular updates on content, guides, tutorials etc. through our social media feeds: Twitter and Facebook .

I don’t have the time to cross-post everything here, but I do try to spread the word on sales, offers and major updates (e.g. the recent v1.02 update and the refreshed CSP) because I hate to see players miss out on stuff. (As an example, we recently had a bunch of CMANO owners ask for a discount on CMO because they somehow completely missed the original release-time upgrade discount)

I will respect your request and abstain from posting any more release/sale/offer/update news. I will still monitor the thread for any questions and answer as I can.

Thanks.

Yeah, I think CMO is probably too much like hard work for my limited gaming time but I enjoy watching the videos from their new DLCs. And having Dimitris post here reminds people that if they do have an issue or question then you can get an answer straight from the horse’s mouth, which I appreciate.

I really don’t get the hate, I guess QT3’s inner curmudgeonlyness is strong.

I tend to agree with @schurem - although I am more diplomatic! ;-)

It’s a very niche, high quality and unique game that I am glad someone is making. As far as I am concerned there are degrees of “shilling”; people peddling trash, and people who are desperate to reach a very niche audience with a stellar product.

But that’s just me.

I also don’t think there’s anything really wrong with what he’s doing. Not every poster needs to be a member of the “community”. He’s not spamming or going into other threads to talk about CMO.

Then why bother even having a forum?

“Not every” doesn’t mean “not any”.

For someplace to go where people can post and read about something they are interested in.

A forum doesn’t obligate everyone to read or post in threads they are not interested in. Running off a poster providing relevant information to the thread they are posting in degrades the purpose of a forum.

I really don’t wanna drive anyone away, the opposite in fact. I’d love it if Dimitris came on every so often with a link to a dev blog or interesting AAR or something, rather than just a sale announcement. You know, something to keep the conversation going rather than just a drive-by sale post.

I like this idea.

This is still a game I would love to play, once I have a mountain of time to learn and enjoy it. Harpoon was the first PC game I owned/played when I was younger and this topic still piques my interest.

Does this apply to Steven Peeler as well?

Which is what most of his posts were - in addition to answering questions.

Well they WERE yeah, but lately it’s just been all sale announcements. I went back and looked before I wrote that to be sure.

There were two recent posts - one Oct 18 with links to 2 devblogs and a new release and one 9 days ago calling out the Steam flash sale.

Prior to that, in May-June of last year, 2 posts with devblog links and 1 letting folks know of a coupon sale.

But whatever, great job thread copping this. I’m sure the results will significantly improve discussion of this niche game.

I’m in on the ‘harmless’ side, too—not to mention that I’ve bought a piece or two of Command content based on Dimitris’ posts here. Oh well. Guess I’ll have to go follow them on Twitter now.

With the point being there really hasn’t been any, other than low effort “new DLC, kthxbai” posts.

The key to me is low effort. Someone sneered at me about this a few posts back, but the only difference between QT3 and and some rando comment section is community. And community demands participation. Leave the weak shit drive-by announcement stuff for kotaku or bluesnews.

I don’t disagree, but sometimes that weak shit drive-by announcement stuff on niche titles that don’t otherwise see much action can spur some discussion by said community. Looking back on this topic, the majority of conversation around this game tends to happen in the wake of Dimitris’ posts.