Community - Thursdays on NBC!

The last two weeks have been really funny episodes. My favorite parts are Ahbed and Troy at the end, especially last week when they were krumping

Go Go Gadget Incontinence

Wholeheartedly agreed. I really like all the people in the show individually, but for some reason it’s just not right yet. Joel McHale is just too overplayed. Love Chevy Chase in this.

Total Vacation flashback when he sat on the bench with Joel McHale and started in on a life lesson with “You know, Jeff…”

“You know, Russ…”

I have to give the show credit, I didn’t expect it to give such good moments to the “secondary” members of the ensemble so soon. Shirley in her “Tiny nipples/You’re the devil” scene was hilarious.

Yeah, I like how it gives chances to supporting characters to shine. Troy made good comedic use of his limbs on the floor and Shirley was great throughout (the miming of “where are they? I can’t see them!” was top notch). The Troy/Abed combo at the end felt a bit weak, but that’s just because how awesome the ones before were. I knew I was going to stick with this show for the season at the very least when I saw the two of them rapping and krumping (bonus points for the following “that’s not how you crump…”).

I’ve always found Ken Jeong’s humor a bit awkward in other shows and movies I’ve seen him in, but his Senor Chang is awesome. I love the snipes he and John Oliver were throwing at each other, and the backdrop for the trial in this week’s episode was hilarious.

Abed and Troy remain my favorite part of the show

See, the Abed and Troy segment was (IMO) the weakest part of the show last night, it never really went anywhere. I agree I generally like when the two actors are in a scene together, but last night wasnt the best of their work.

I do really like the Abed and Troy relationship. It’s a couple of perfectly mismatched characters, perfectly cast creating this awesome chemistry on screen.

I really think the show does an amazing job capturing what a community college is like. They can be very large, they sometimes put on airs, they can throw around a ton of money, but are often poorly planned. The faculty is really uneven. Everything from fantastic young professors moonlighting from their tenure track positions at a “real” university, all the way to local burnouts who seem right off the street.

The diversity of students is also really accurate. It’s funny, I spent a few years taking college courses part time before I decided to get serious and get my degree. I took classes both at a nearby state school and the community college in town and the surprising thing is the average intelligence in any given class was much higher at community college. So many people at the state school just seemed to be there because college was what you were supposed to do after high school. At a community college you have a lot of people getting an Associates on the cheap, before transferring to a 4 year college. Lot’s of people are just feeling out the college thing. Lots of people (like myself) were that self-sabotaging kind of smart who needed to build a resume before someone real would admit them. Circumstance keeps people in their home town sometime, preventing them for moving away for school. And you’ve also got older people coming back to school late in life or retraining for a new career. It can be a strange and beautiful thing! The point is the level of discussion was usually much higher in community college than the state school I attended. Community college ended up being a lot more rewarding for that reason.

This is now the first show from Thursday nights that I watch on my PVR. Last week’s had so many great moments - like almost all of Troy’s, excuse me, T-Bone’s football scenes. And the chart that goes from Seal to Seal’s teeth

Yeah, not bad stuff. Lots of little quips that are cute enough on their own - and I’m always grateful for the absence of laugh track comedy.

This makes the show awesome:

Jeff: I’m saying you’re a football player! It’s in your blood.
Troy: That’s racist.
Jeff: Your soul!
Troy: That’s racist.
Jeff: Your eyes?
Troy: That’s gay.
Jeff: That’s homophobic.
Troy: That’s black.
Jeff: That’s racist!
Troy: Damn!

That was pretty excellent.

I was surprised how awesome most of the costumes were tonight. I was laughing pretty hard just at Beastmaster

I think the episodes are holding on pretty strong. I take a little issue with the cartoonier bits (I thought the desk fortress itself was pretty cute, but the collapse and Batman rescue was on the far side of silly).

Troy and Abed make a great team. Their post-credits bits are usually gold, even when they’re not especially funny.

The best parts seem to be the snappy, rapid-fire exchanges that could almost be missed if you weren’t paying attention. Such as the ‘vial of tears’ in the Halloween episode, and the racist exchange previous.

This continues to be one of my favorite shows on TV, period.

Hot statistics teacher looked familiar…any idea where I might be recognizing her from?

I agree, but I can’t find out who she is.

Last night’s episode was better than most, but I’m still not terribly sold on this show.

Seconded, absolutely my favorite thing on on TV right now.

If I stay, there can be no party

That episode was epic (especially the tripping sequence). This show is great. I think the community college digs are a little over the top, but overall the show is very sharp and it does capture some parts of the experience.