Computer won't POST

Awesome! Was it an AMD or Intel stock?

AMD. I didn’t build the PC myself, but I assume it was the stock heatsink/fan that came with the FX-8350 CPU. Probably shoulda replaced that bad boy years ago.

Can’t go wrong with Noctua.

Yeah, dang. I’m a fan now. (No pun intended.)

Pretty sure that’s the same cooler I’ve had in my rig for 6 years now.

Just saw this thread had updates and was about to suggest you try a new heatsink/fan combo with the Arctic Silver. Glad you beat me to it and that it solved the problem.

A 33C difference in temps is amazing, I suspect your old heatsink probably had an issue with surface contact with the chip. It may have become slightly warped with time, or some of the old paste was still on there causing issues, or dust had caked and solidified between the blades of the heatsink, or all of the above. @jpinard is likely right, your old mobo may have died of heatstroke because of CPU heat issues caused by the old heatsink/fan.

Welcome back in any event! 6 months is a long time to go without real gaming!

Fortunately I had my PS4 to tide me over, and lots of retro/indie stuff. Slay the Spire is all I usually have the attention span for these days anyway, what with a toddler running around.

Still… there’s just something about a graphically intensive game played on your own gaming PC…

Low quality thermal paste that dries out can become an insulator instead of a conductor. Some people say that all goop is the same. No. They are not.

I would just like to say that I am thrilled we are still getting use out of this thread I started 12 years ago.

I suspect this is the case. I’ve had to replace a few heatsink/fans, but never (so far) had a bad processor, even after years of use. In my experience, it’s always best to pay a few extra bucks for a quality hs/f. And a quality power supply. And…Well, it’s a good idea to pay a few extra bucks for quality stuff for every part in your computer. Which is how keeping to a budget can be so damn difficult.

And your original issue 12 years ago was due to broken pins in a PS/2 connector for a keyboard. Kids these days don’t know how good they have it with their fancy USB, HDMI and mini-DP ports. Mad props for the joking references to NOEMS and HIMEM.SYS in your AUTOEXEC.BAT from your original reply. Gaming really was more science than art back in those days.

Some problems transcend time!

I have a AMD A8-5600K and it runs ridiculously hot. Money would be better spent on upgrading the CPU and motherboard than upgrading the cooling however.

Okay not a posting problem, but related and doesn’t require its own thread. My computer is possessed.

If I wake it up or boot it up there is like a 5-10% chance it runs perfect, a 10-20% chance it runs almost perfect but for a half second hiccup every 30 seconds or so, and a 70% chance that it is choppy like it is running at 2 FPS the mouse just skips along the screen.

I’ve taken to just leaving it on when I get a good power cycle, but I’d like to be able to sleep the damn thing.

The problem persists through a reboot, the actual post and bios load is slowed. It persists through formatting. Sometimes I struggle with the slow bios boot and reboot mid load, which makes it angry and forces a format. (That has happened twice).

I’m not sure if I’m looking at a power supply issue, a motherboard issue, a SSD issue, or a CPU issue. Not really in the position to do a complete overhaul but would love to know what the problem is.

Fun fact: this computer has been through a rough time. Built it when I was living in Nigeria so it has been exposed to the most intensly horrific power infrastructure. Plugged into an Indian made cheapo UPS (only ones you can get there) that was the only thing protecting it from brown outs, surges, power cutting multiple times a day. Flipping to generator multiple times a day. Generated power fluctuations. You name it, it’s been through it. My first power supply leaked stinky fluid all over the motherboard within a few months of operation. When I put a new power supply in everything was perfect for years until this problem started happening.

Oh also in transit from Nigeria it got all kinds of fucked up by the airline. The steel case bent like hell but all the insides were fine and worked once I got a new case.

My gut tells me it’s a USB issue because when it does the hiccup every 30 seconds my discord cuts my mic and I have to reconnect.