Conan Exiles - Funcom, open-world survival

Thank you again, Kono. Any idea what your high watermark was for QT3 players? 5? 10? 15?

Skipper, getting tired of Ark?
Conan is a nice idea, but there isn’t a lot there. The world is nice to explore though. However, it has a lot of bugs and Funcom seems more interested in releasing cosmetic DLC than fixing the problems.

I’m still playing ARK. Skrug is wanting to try Conan though so we thought we’d give it a shot for a while. ARK has an upcoming expansion I’m holding on for, which kind of completes the, “saga,” they set for it. My guess is that they will wrap it up at that point and work on ARK2 or whatever else.

Similar to Conan though, they have a lot of bugs they’ve left by the wayside. For the most part they aren’t noticeable, but you still bump into them somewhat.

I played just a little over the weekend but I know next to nothing about it. It seemed a bit more shallow in gameplay, but I’m sure that’s because I haven’t waded that far into it. The idea of many static spawns just seemed like an odd choice for open world survival, but I know some of that it tied to thralls, etc. I’ve not seen the PvP side or a purge yet.

We had 6ish on at once several times early on.

For those still playing, I have an additional server up and running. Now if I can just figure out how to get the Purge working while still PvE?

Also, any tips on where to head once I reach level 30? I’m slowly starting to outlevel these Dafari camps/caves I’ve been raiding for thralls.

Go north, young man.

Like cold zone north or where? I’m assuming above the desert line?

Follow the spirits, they will lead you to the broken acqueduct, north along the major river. Do not venture into the snows yet, but the upper highlands have bountiful prey, new thralls and dangerous adventures for you.

I will go in search of the secret of steel.

Hmm.

So the survival game reskinned with new options or something brand new? They’ve done the MMO and the survival game. What’s next?

Conan Royale.

Bingo.

An RTS? Boo.

That seems like a horrible IP to use for a RTS.

D:

Have they looked at RTS numbers in the past few years? Are they trying to kill the studio?

It sounds a bit like a tower defense game:

A news release from Funcom touted Conan Unconquered as a fast-paced strategy game “where players face wave after wave of enemies in ever-increasing numbers and difficulty.” Players will have to build and fortify their strongholds to withstand “savage hordes,” and they’ll be able to summon gigantic units (see above) to crush their enemies, see them driven before them, and hear the lamentations of their women.

As I said in the new thread for the game, seems familiar-ish to They Are Billions. Which I guess still broadly counts as Tower Defense, just not in the way you’d expect most TD-style games to play.

They Are Billions sold pretty well though from memory, so I guess Funcom are hoping that lightning strikes twice.

Every Petroglyph RTS I’ve played for the past decade or so has been a miss for me, so seeing a Conan (?!) RTS game doesn’t exactly get me excited.

Checks…

Star Wars Empire at War
Initial release date: February 16, 2006

Released before 2008, so that sounds about right!