Conan Exiles - Funcom, open-world survival

Pretty sure I wouldn’t venture in again without a nice private server with an active player population. I plateaued on Galadin’s server just as the population was dwindling down to a couple of dudes including myself. Thanks so much, Galadin, for hosting! Sounds like we may have a couple of weeks left to check out the changes on that server, if we want to (last I checked I couldn’t find the server in either server browser).

So apparently European Xbox version of Conan has full nudity, American Xbox version has partial nudity. Pretty sure that means no swinging dongs for us.

Probably means bare breasts (men and women), but covered lower bits.

No danglys for you, dive.

They’ve stated that using a second xbox as a dedicated server won’t be an option during the game preview period. You will have to rent a private server from their server partner (gportal?)

I’m not sure if this will still be the plan for the full launch in 2018.

Yeah, I just heard that. Super bummer. They’d earlier announced the ability to do so, too. Wonder what changed?

Perhaps they have had porting issues with the server back-end, maybe the CPU in the Xbox is too weak to support a lot of players…dunno.

Has MS allowed this particular feature with other games?

I’m pretty sure you can do it with ARK, a very similar game.

EDIT to add: yup. Just fired up ARK on the Xbone and it does have the ability to run as a dedicated server. I also saw that they’re giving away a free DLC ‘Ragnarok’ for launch. Trying to steal Conan’s thunder? Or tying into the new Thor movie? Or both?

New update is out.

Conan is the game i both hate and love at the same time. Frustrating but addicting.

The heat/cold thing is interesting, but seems half baked. There doesn’t seem enough to do to deal with heat. There are areas where you basically can’t go in the desert even with light armor (which supposedly helps with heat). Shade/standing in water doesn’t help heat. Buildings don’t seem to affect heat. You can basically overheat in seconds with no warning.

Stability seems a bit worse, which isn’t good. I’ve had a number of crashes, mostly since the hot fix patch yesterday. The game was never the most stable, but it seems worse now.

The map changes are nice, but my markers seem to randomly disappear. Thankfully they seem to come back eventually, but it is still very annoying.

It continues to amaze me that basically every survival crafting game is run in a very amateur way. I’m probably putting the game on hold until they finish the update.

Finally got around to playing this on Xbone today. It runs reasonably well, and looks fine (though I thought ARK also looked fine, so there’s your benchmark). It did crash a couple times- notably when I died and tried to respawn. A couple other times I respawned 50 feet in the air, and feel to my dearth. Hilarious.

It’s fun enough right now, figuring out systems- it does remind me a lot of ARK, though.

I did run into the same heat thing Murbella noticed- it even happens at night! It’s like they just programmed “heat zones” (and cold zones I assume) that just change your temp when you’re in them. Kinda lame.

The heat thing is better now (you no longer basically instantly die from multiple nearby furnaces), but it can still be pretty wonky.

The other thing i am starting to realize is that even on a server that has something like 3X gather stats, higher end stuff takes a TON of gathering. I can’t imagine how anyone can build something like a greater wheel of pain on a vanilla server. It must take weeks of constant grinding.

Not sure what the update schedule is for Xbox, and of the PC changed this. It happened today in a few spots, just walking through the landscape. Suddenly you start to see your temp meter going up, and notifications you’re starting to overheat/get heat stroke. It probably takes 30 seconds overall, and there’s no apparent reason why this particular stretch of desert is causing this, and yeah I’m in light armor still.

I did find a cave full of crocodiles along with a big croc god. I respectfully retreated.

I love the climbing mechanic. A little janky, but really exactly what I’ve been waiting for in a game like this.

I think i’m t he only one here playing this, but i will post anyway, for my own enjoyment.

I think i am done with this update. It is overall hugely disappointing.

The expansion feels like it is in alpha

• The temperature system is HUGELY arcade’y and random. It doesn’t even have the most basic aspects of realism. You will walk across an imaginary line and instantly go from normal to burning to death with no rhyme or reason. Staying in the shade, in water or in buildings does not help with heat. No environmental feature short of fire seems to help with cold. Anti cold/heat armor is not enough to go many places. You need wine and it takes 500 berries for one wine, which is insane even on a 2X server.
  • More nothing. I climbed the huge mountain/crater in the north east. There is nothing there except a death wall. I went through temples, dungeons and caves. Nothing in them. Many enemies drop nothing. It feels like they designed the environment and then gave a bunch of interns a day to fill it with stuff.
  • Super buggy. The north is full of nasty looking skeletons who take a long time to kill as a level 58 with an ancient kopesh but they do zero damage. Wolves follow you literally 1/3 of the way through the map. The npc that is supposed to teach you Ymir religion is bugged and does not work, in an expansion that is literally focused around ymir.
  • No real reason to move to the north beyond star metal. There are basically two good areas to have a base in conan, near the pirate ship in the east and near the relic hunter city in the west. The expansion doesn’t add a 3rd. There is basically nothing in the green area between old world and snow world. The snow world has almost no resources except iron and ice.
  • Black Ice is too hard to get without Ymir religion, making it basically required
    *Lowered stability both for the client and the dedicated server. It was already bad and now it is even worse.

I was joking with my friend about how great the environments in the game look but every time you think about exploring somewhere because you suspect the game has something waiting for you there, there is absolutely nothing except disappointment.

Thanks for sharing this, Murbella. I’ve been out of the game for a while now and haven’t really been following the development progress. Based on your comments, it sounds to me like you’re doing the single-player/PVE thing, which I also felt was very weak last time I played. None of the dungeons/caves are fleshed out enough to be worth exploring, minus the reptile armor dungeon which was fun, but limited (and I’m not sure reptile armor is all that great outside of looking cool). Building and collecting thralls and leveling is fun, but then once you reach a certain point there’s nothing left to do. I suspect PVP is a much more balanced experience, even though it’s probably also still got a ways to go.

Yup, I ended up favoring two locations, one near an entrance to the Relic Hunter City and one northeast of the ship, near the (former?) edge of the map. And for those just starting out there are a few good, defensible spots near the Hand Statue.

I was purely playing co op with a friend on a private server, so yeah, no pvp.

They turned on private server rental on Xbone the other day.

Minimum cost is upwards of $30/month, with only one vendor. That seems like highway robbery.

Is that the going rate on PC? I’m thinking (based on only circumstantial evidence LOL) that’s why they might have not included hosting your own dedicated servers- they’re getting a cut from the hosting company?

In any case, I’m super bummed.

I only had a 10 person server before, but I got it from Survival Servers for something like $14 a month at the time. They had a very nice control panel for Ark and you can control when it updates.

Looks like they have Conan servers for a little over a buck a slot.

Wow. Yup. Sounds super shitty. I mean, I’d pay $10-15/month to host a thing on the Xbone for me and my friends to fuck around with on a random basis, but 2-3X that? Nope.

Missed this earlier in the week:

So its been a while and I got the itch to see whats going on. Whole new northern zone, drawbridges, potions/magic. Combat update is coming in the next month or so.

Rented a 20 slot server for anyone (PC via survival servesr) who wants to play and check it out: Qt3 - Conan Exiles

Currently running no mods, no battle eye. Gathering at 1.25, shield durability at .75.

PM me for server information if interested.