Conan Exiles - Funcom, open-world survival

Its a lot of new systems - And in a game that is (also) based around multiplayer, it makes a certain sense to put it into early access so as to get continuous feedback - either through the software, or forum/discord /social media feedback.

In other news, I bought it, and played and love the new map. I don’t love the noise the portals that opened exactly where I wanted my home to be make - constant, loud, droning - And the portals dont seem to vanish.

I considered this when it was on sale, but the reviews… I mean, yeah, grain of salt and all that but the specific things people were mentioning were red flags. Stuff like wide-spread cheating and exploiting, and problems with bases/housing, that sort of thing, stuff that strikes at the core of the game in many ways. So, I’m leery, a bit.

Just play Single player, or on a private server. Its really a great, great great game.
Bases and housing is the best - There is nothing like it out there. You can build anything, anywhere.

I cannot recommend it enough!

Agreed, really fun on a private server with 2 or 3 friends. I’d love to get back to it soon.

If you’re in north america and looking for a place, I’ve a server up: Six days to plan a murder. It’s mostly PVE with PVP enabled on saturdays. Most settings are generic, but resource gathering is 2x. Thralls are limited to 30/clan.

If any of that floats your boat, you’re all more than welcome to join in. Shoot me a pm with your name in game and I’ll add you to the server whitelist when i get the chance. If you’ve specific server settings you’d like to see let me know and I’ll take a look at it.

I’ve been jonesing for a survival/crafting game and this is really grabbing some interest from me right now. But with the new path of exile league hitting today and my desire to finish up Witcher 1, it’s tough to find even more time for gaming. Well, plus there is the idea that there is a new early access game that is similar to those that in medieval times. That one is also garnering lot of attention from me.

I did get this on sale, because, well, why not. I tried a little single player to get a feel for it. Died to a something or other. But it seems interesting at least.

One great aspect about this game if you play solo–essentially running a server instance on your PC–is that the devs give you a lot of granular control over server settings. Feel like harvesting or crafting is taking too long? Crank up the server settings to dramatically speed that up. You can adjust combat damage received and given, length of day, night, dawn, and dusk among a ton of other variables. You can really fine tune your solo experience and reduce the level of grind.

It’s a super sandbox right? Or is there some type of overarching goal embedded in the game itself?

Sort of. There’s the Journey steps, which in the beginning will teach you how to play the game. And as you progress, will teach you about the lore of the world. It’s pretty interesting, I really like it. I find I can’t play other sandbox games that lack it, like NMS.

One thing I feel prospective conan buyers should know - They recently released a DLC in early access. That meant that everyone, including those not purchasing the DLC, has an additional 66 GB to download - setting the footprint of Conan Exiles around 130 GB.

I love the game, but that is quite a bit of space required.

The new DLC has a number of new features that change the game quite a bit, too, on the new map. This video is spoilery, but it’s a good overview of what’s different on Siptah:

I’ve only played this solo and never gotten that far despite loving the building. If there are folks planning to play for a while, would be nice to get together and see what’s possible with a group.

I am pretty heavy back into ARK right now, but enjoyed my time with the release version of this. Maybe when this expansion releases live I will get back into this, or sooner if ARK slows down. I always love these types of games.

I was playing last night. Cleared a bat dungeon with a friend. Then I was totally overwhelmed with the game. What the hell am I supposed to do next?

I am likely influenced by ARK quite a bit right now, but recall Conan Exiles being very similar. This would be for the first map, but I wouldn’t imagine this new map to be a complete shift in strategy. I should watch that video above to see the changes…

In general, though, level up to unlock better recipes… to be able to build better equipment and bases… which require better materials which many times causes you to continually be advancing bases or living in the better resource areas (many times these are tougher and take more levels/equipment, etc. to live in and survive in). As you level and progress through the equipment, you will need better stations and thralls so you will want to unlock and capture better and better ones to help fuel your advancement. All the while you want to try to maintain your base and keep it/protect your resources/stations/thralls, etc. There are lots of other things you can do and you can take as much time as you want in building and constructing really cool bases and structures. I tend to just do the minimal needed to progress, but many love the creative things you can do.

That probably wasn’t too helpful… :)

It confirms what I understand the game - and ARK - to be. It just holds no interest for me.

In general, I kinda roleplay in these games. I imagine if I WAS that person, trying to make it in these lands, and had no handholding, what would I do? So, basically, I just do day to day stuff, while building my home to just how I want it.
The last part is really what its all about for me - All the material gathering, is basically just to be able to make the best looking house I can, and wear the clothes I feel fit me, and looks great.

I am also a sucker for the great vistas, and always try to find a place to put my home with the best possible view. Access to materials come second after that.

Its kinda a Barbie house in that regard - Just a big sandbox to play dressup in…just set in the Conan world with all that that entails.

I played with several of you a few years back but had to bail once we had a decent settlement built since my system couldn’t run it anymore. (framerate went single digits after enough buildings/improvements)

Got a new video card and might try another go at it.

Yeah I wrecked all your bases and took all your stuff. It was a ton of fun.