Conan Unconquered - RTS, Funcom and Petroglyph

Huh, Petroglyph, I wonder if they’ll abandon this one too, ultimately.

Percent of game play shown , 0%.

I’ll wait for reviews and a 95% off sale after the clusterfrack that was Forged Battalion.

Screenshots galore, and some information on the game, on the Steam Store page though. Seems a bit like a Conan version of They Are Billions to me at first glance, with ability to play in co-op with a friend if so desired.

Ummm , that didn’t look all that great.

:|

They Are Billions is name checked in the video, as is Frostpunk. They consider it a survival (RTS) game, sort of like horde mode.

The game that killed Forged Battalions? Sorry, still salty about that.

Out today! Apparently its just like They Are Billions. So Tom said if you liked that game you will like this game!

I see a 2 pack for 25% off on Steam, probably the best deal right now.

And saved the best for last:

On sale at greenmangaming as well for roughly $23. A couple differences from They are Billions are hero units (I think) and co-op play.

I am really interested in how this game goes. Is there a campaign?

I see Steam reviews are mixed, lots of mentions of a unfinished buggy early access feel to this.
I didn’t see that in what Tom was streaming. Anyone else get hands on time with this game?

@Jason_McMaster, thoughts after a couple of hours of play? I wonder how much replayability there will be, but I guess it will probably take a while to clear what is there.

Edit: Looking in the options, there is in an infinite wave mode that can be unlocked (I’m guessing by defeating the 25 wave scenario). Another thing that Conan has that I don’t believe TAB does is the challenge mode, and ability to play the same maps as other people. @tomchick has a challenge map up already for folks.

@KristiGaines there are 5 scenarios that you can play through that kind of teach you the ropes, and then unconquered, which includes the infinite wave option.

For the zoom not going out enough for some in the reviews, there is an option to increase it, but it warns that it can impact performance. I don’t think the graphics are horrible. I think the slowness of units is choice by Petroglyph not a performance issue, at least it doesn’t seem to be taxing the system.

The creeping seems kind of like creeping in WC3. You head out kill some creeps and then get a reward. I think in TAB you could go out and kill zombies, but I don’t remember if there were rewards for doing so.

I actually like it quite a bit. The coop I played with @Mike_Cathcart was a pretty good time, even if we didn’t beat the scenario (it ramps up like crazy in the coop/normal mode game) it was a bit better each time through.

So far I like this better than TAB, and I guess I chalk that up to not feeling like I have to play the scenario in exactly one way or another. The Hero characters and exploration add a layer that was missing in TAB.

I played the first scenario a couple times just to try and figure out how the economy works.

Except it has co-op. Hmm…

It looks fine in static images but rather unimpressive in motion. Petroglyph still has some unfortunate art direction/animation holdover from, er… [Googles] “Rise of Immortals?” Really? And they thought “Battle for Graxia” was an improvement? Can’t imagine why it failed… They should really be doing everything in their power to prevent me from associating with that stinker.

There’s something weirdly disconnected between the background and the units, like the ground is just a flat texture or the units are floating. Not sure how Grey Goo turned out comparatively so much more attractive.

Hmm - You seem to have it covered. But is it fun?

It looked just fine in the two Qt3 streams of the game over the last two days.

I’ve enjoyed what I’ve played so far, but the question is how long that will last. I’ve won the 1st 2 of the 5 scenarios, but that is all I’ve played. I will probably try Tom’s challenge map tonight as well to see what that is about. I think I will get my $23 worth of entertainment out of it.

People are reporting bugs and crashing, but I haven’t encountered anything yet. One thing that I have found somewhat annoying is that I don’t think units automatically put out fires that are near them. You have to actual order them to do it, and it getting the water icon to show up seemed a little tricky at times. I’ll have to play another round and not order them and see for sure if they let it all burn or not. I need to also look at the keybindings to see if there is one for putting out fires.

I see a number of complaints on Steam that is basically They Are Billions reskinned, but I don’t really think that is fair to Petroglyph. It is definitely the same survival rts genre, but they’ve added their own twist to it. I plan to go spend more time with They Are Billions to see if I’m just not remembering it well enough.

One thing I would worry about though is Petroglyph is the developer for Command & Conquer Remastered. They already dropped development of Forged Battalions in the middle of early access to work on Conan Unconquered, so I worry that they will not devote resources to Conan now that it has shipped. It looked like a fairly small team in the credits for Conan, and I don’t know how much of the studio that represents.