Confess, Fletch. Yes, it's real.

I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt. Seems like a bad trailer for something that may be good.

Oh, I will too. Don’t feel like I have enough info to really judge yet beyond liking and trusting John Hamm, which (given that he’s still developing as a comedian) isn’t a lot to go on.

Hamm was usually hilarious in his SNL skits.

https://youtu.be/gbiLanj8EuI

Oh yeah, Jon Hamm can be funny. I think Bridesmaids and The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt showed that. Just hope this turns out pretty decent.

If I remember right, he got started in comedy and that had been his focus until Mad Men happened.

As someone who has only seen a handful of episodes of Mad Men, I primarily think of Hamm as a comic actor. On top of the stuff mentioned above, he’s in Wet Hot American Summer, Children’s Hospital and Todd Margaret, as well as a bunch of voice work on comedy cartoons. He’s always fun on Doug Loves Movies, too.

Those are reproductions.

That’s how introduce my children.

That got a chuckle from me.

Just checked this out and really enjoyed it. It’s not great cinema by any stretch, but it was funny and entertaining. Felt like a good turn your brain off way to spend an hour and a half. I’d check out more Hamm as Fletch.

This doesn’t seem to be in wide release - it hasn’t hit any theaters closer than 20 miles to me (of which there are probably 40 screens of multiplexes).

And they already dropped it to 242. Grr:

Yeah I can’t figure out what is going on with this movie. It looks like the studio just dumped it into digital and a few theaters, but there’s been no advertising at all that I’ve seen.

I want to see it, but ended up going to Barbarian and See How They Run last weekend. I’d hoped it’d still be playing this weekend, but I’m not so optimistic now.

Oh wow, I thought it was streaming only.

So, I streamed this last night. I surprised myself a little bit by quite liking it. Jon Hamm is more a low-key funny, but that’s more in line with the book version than Chevy Chase’s broader comic Fletch anyway.

I have to say I didn’t love the way they basically solved the murder in one conversation with the Inspector 10 minutes from the ending, and the scene before that where most of the players gather in the condo to yell at each other was a little too “goofy comedy movie” for my taste, but getting to that point was a lot of fun.

Far from essential, but definitely worth a watch, I’d say. If they decide to make another one, I wouldn’t be opposed.

EDIT: Also, John Slattery in a small part playing his old boss Frank was a hoot. But he’s great in everything.

I liked it too! Just a fun mystery/comedy with an appealing cast across the board.

I probably agree with charmtrap’s mild criticisms but that condo dinner scene in the kitchen had what I thought was the funniest moment in the movie:

Tatiana: “I knew you were a phony. A style editor? He doesn’t even know what ‘bespoke’ means.”
Owen: “Doesn’t even know what bespoke-- THE FUCK, DUDE?” [PUNCH]

I was surprised by how funny Marcia Gay Harden was as the Countess. I loved how she kept calling him “Flesh.”

Roy Wood Jr. and Ayden Mayeri as Monroe and Griz were an inspired pairing.

And Eugene Mirman as the security guard got a bunch of good jokes in from way off on the sidelines.

Definitely recommended! I think I’ll watch it again this weekend.

I enjoyed the Annie Mumalo! She’s great and her scene was a real highlight of the movie for me. Everything else I’ll have forgotten in a few weeks, including Hamm’s bare feet. Hopefully sooner.

By “streaming” do people mean rental/purchase, or is it available on one of the subscription services?

It seems like the release has been a real goat rope. I heard the director on a podcast promoting the movie, and reading between the lines, you could hear his dismay at the scattershot release and lack of marketing. I saw it the week it came out, doing a double feature with Bullet Train, and the Fletch screening was me and about four other people, whereas Bullet Train in its umpeenth week was pretty full.

Otherwise, it’s available for premium streaming in most places:

That’s a bummer! If it’s still playing in theaters this weekend, I’ll get out and see it. If not, I’ll shell out for a rental. I feel the odds are pretty good I’ll have fun with it.

For the record, I didn’t care for it at all. I thought it was a typical “detective” potboiler set at a fatally low simmer. Except for the Mumalo, where the movie briefly – and literally – catches fire.

The lack of commitment from the studio started a long time ago:

It’s no wonder they stiffed the marketing budget too.