Console?

Hello,

I’ve been a computer gamer for quite some time now, but recently I decided to try out a console for a change of pace. I’m having a hard time deciding on which one to get though and thought I’d check here to see what you guys enjoy. I looked at the related usenet groups, and I think i’ll be traumatized for life.

I’m leaning towards the PS2 for FFX and GTA vice city, but the computer gamer in me has a hard time buying the lesser hardware (and the most expensive one now that the xbox bundle is out).

The gamecube is interesting because it has some nostalgic gaming that should be great quality and the change of pace i’m looking for.

I’m not really considering the X-Box. It might be the most powerful, but I am not interested in playing FPS console games. Besides halo what is there? Shenmue II looks good, but I’ve played Halo, Hunter, and JSRF and didn’t like any of them.

I’ve almost decided on the ps2, but i’m worried that it might not have much of a future. Will great new games still be developed for it?

Appreciate any opinions.
Snowmyr

The PS2’s continued success is a foregone conclusion. You can buy with confidence. Pretty much every developer that matters will support the system enthusiastically throughout its lifetime.

Agreed. If you can only buy one, then the PS2 is the one to go with just on the sheer size of its library.

The Gamecube is affordable and already has several great games for it, and is good choice for action, adventure and platform fans. And the wavebird pretty much kicks ass.

Having said that, if I am looking to buy a game and it is multiplatform, I always buy the Xbox version because it loads faster, looks better, and most games let you play to the music you rip to the hard drive. Playing Project Gotham on a HDTV with full 5.1 surround sound while listening to a favorite Miles Davis album while driving an Audi TT through Tokyo’s Shibuya at 2:00am in the rain is one of the most immersive and enjoyable console experience I’ve ever had. In terms of potential, Xbox pretty much blows PS2 and Gamecube out of the water.

But what you want is not potential but actuality, and the PS2 is, in actuality, the smartest buy right now.

Buy the one that has the games you want. Period. The Xbox is only a superior product technologically if it has the games you want. Sounds like it doesn’t.

More immersive and enjoyable even than that time it got really hot in our apartment and we got undressed and watched Faces of Death DVDs on my Xbox while intermittently pausing to read lines of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight to each other?

-Vede

More immersive and enjoyable even than that time it got really hot in our apartment and we got undressed and watched Faces of Death DVDs on my Xbox while intermittently pausing to read lines of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight to each other?

I think the word you’re looking for is homoerotic.

No, no, no. It’s elfin.

I publicly deny ever having shared an apartment with Greg Vederman. As a matter of fact, I publicly deny ever having even know Greg Vederman. And to be on the safe side, I publicly deny everything that has happened in my life up to this point.

No, no, no. It’s elfin.[/quote]

“Necro-elfin” according to my custom imaginary OED.

On topic: It sound like you like GTA and Final Fantasy, so the PS2 might be it. The Cube will get a real-time combat FF game in 2003, but I don’t see a worthy GTA clone out there. The Xbox has some good racing games, but not a GTA, and right now, I don’t think there’s any plan for a FF game.

Look at the software, like the guy said. Your decision on the Cube should hinge on whether you like stuff like Mario, Star Fox, Smash Bros., Eternal Darkness, Monkeyball, Metroid Prime, Mario Kart, Sonic, and Zelda.

The Cube will get a real-time combat FF game in 2003, but I don’t see a worthy GTA clone out there.

Actually, Animal Crossing is a lot like GTA 3, except all the weapons have been replaced by a shovel, fishing pole, insect net, and (tree-use-only) axe. And furniture.

And all the whores have been replaced with squirrels.

Don’t make me bust out a copy of your lease…

“Oh, Sir Gawain!”

-Vede

Go with your heart. I don’t think you’d be unhappy with any of the consoles. Each has something to recommend it. Nintendo is, well, Nintendo and its best games capture an innocene and sweetness that I don’t see on the other platforms. Microsoft is the newcomer, but it’s the 800-pound-gorilla brand of newcomer, and it’s there’s still nothing on the platform to rival Halo, the company seems willing to spend the dosh needed to force its way into hearts and minds. The PS2 has the numbers and, with the numbers, the allegiance of most third-party publishers. No one can afford to ignore the PS2 and if your tastes cover a wide range, this may indeed be the way to go.

Peter

Unless you’re just gagging to play Nintendo titles (none of which save SMS have been particularly noteworthy), I’d go with the PS2 - other than a few image quality issues, it’s about the same in horsepower as the GC, plus multiplatform ports tend to run smoother and look better on it (what with them being developed on the PS2 first). The PS2 has a far superior library, esp[ecially for those with PC gaming tastes.

PS2. They have the best selection of games currently and you can also play the PSOne games on the PS2, so you can pick up some good games like Final Fantasy Tactics for cheap.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m going to go with the PS2.

Hooray!!! Made his decision before Long could get his claws in him.

Good choice. You will not be sorry. Buy SSX Tricky: STAT!!!

I’m not going to bother submitting an opinion on which one to buy. It’s clear that most people do not want the kind of games I want to play.

That said, I would’ve told him to get a PS2 though "Guest"s post is way the heck out there. PS2 as powerful as the Gamecube? Just what are you smoking? PS2 for people with PC gaming tastes? WTF? Buy an Xbox if you want a PC for your TV.

–Dave

Gotta agree with you there. The PS2 has fighting and racing games in spades (neither of which I am particularly fond of). There is a definite lack of PCish games.

PS2 is a sure bet, but its graphics are pretty much low-res ass, and getting worse every day (compared to the competition). Anyone who tells you differently either doesn’t know better, or simply has very low standards.

Yes, I own a PS2. Graphics aren’t everything, of course, but being able to make out turns in the distance in GT3 would be nice.