CONTROL - (Remedy Entertainment and 505 Games)

Hmm, Control might be too perfect for a sequel. Can I appeal the decision, just to be on the safe side?

I could definitely stand to have a better resolution to that story. And I’m always up for more of their writing.

Oh look, the website says there’s also an Alan Wake 2. That might be cool.

Control is the only New Weird game I’ve enjoyed. I’m looking forward to seeing if Remedy can go even further down the rabbit hole in the sequel.

Tldr: One of the developers has continued to improve the PC version, and released it as a mod. So it’s from one of the developers, but unofficial.

I gather that others have had issues with corrupted saves when restarting the game. I ran into the same last night; I started up a new game after two years and when I got to the second area I discovered that all doors were unlocked, Ahti’s quest wouldn’t fire, and I couldn’t get the Evade power (the box was already open). Should note that this was on a brand new PC, separate from the one on which I’d previously played Control (it did pull save data from Steam Cloud, of course).

Googling around lead me to determine that this was an issue with having old save games around. I’ve since attempted to get rid of those saves, going as far as to delete all save games. But now I’m getting the dreaded “We could not restore your saved campaign progress…” error, even when I start a new game.

The steps I have followed to try and remedy this:

• Disabled steam cloud
  • Deleted the folder c:\program files (x86)\steam\userdata<big number>\870780\
  • Started up the game, still getting errors
  • Uninstalled game
  • Deleted the above folder again. In principle this should have wiped all record of the game from my system.
  • Installed game, started up a new game. As soon as I die I get the same error.

I did verify that there are save games in the appropriate folder after that last step. Nonetheless, the game seems unable to load them.

Great job here Remedy and 505!

Well, I managed to get this all resolved. Turns out I had to uninstall the games, wipe the saves, and reboot and that seems to have gotten it all working.

And now that it’s working man with the unofficial HDR patch… this thing is really pretty! It’s also a system murderer in a way that even Cyberpunk wasn’t. I ran Cyberpunk at 4k everything set to max (including ray tracing) and got about 80+ fps. With the HDR patch in this game I was down below sixty. I actually had to enable DLSS to keep my framerate up!

The followup is, sigh, a multiplayer live-service game.

Hahaha. Well, I wish them luck.

The shooting part of Control is not the game’s core strength.

Yeah, they are way off. I’m out.

That’s certainly true. Doesn’t mean they couldn’t improve it of course, and add all sorts of looter-shooter stuff that could be fun. I’m just not particularly optimistic.

Live service is a fucking cancer.

Congratulations on identifying exactly what I don’t want from a Remedy game.

Yeah, goodness. This things need to be entombed in an NSC before it does any more damage.

If this means we can have a Remedy game without combat, I’ll accept that as the price I have to pay.

Ha, you’re probably not going to see a lot of agreement on that front, but I’m in your corner dude.

To each their own, no matter how wrong you are.

I love the Ashtray Maze, but it’s everything aside from the combat that makes it cool.

Where’s the upvote button? This social media site is broken