Corona Tech Impact

No, it’s a Zoom flaw. They don’t do input validation properly.

The end to end encryption thing is just a transparent lie. Zoom really is quite problematic. Remember their self-replicating rootkit from last year? This is strike 3.

Of all the weird things I didn’t expect there to be a shortage of on Amazon… it’s USB headset pop screens. For some reason my USB headset keeps triggering WebEx’s echo detection and I have to fuss with the volume and mike controls to remove it. So, I thought I’d just get one on Amazon… April 22nd is the earliest I could get one.

I mean it’s obviously a Zoom flaw as well, but if Zoom can surface it, then malicious code could too.Why is Windows offering up hashed passwords at all?

Yes, this is a well-known problem with NTLM and SSO that has been talked about widely for the better part of a decade. Microsoft has no plans to fix it as it would break many customer configs.

If you do use Zoom I suggest logging-in via the browser, not their application. Zoom really doesn’t want you to do that, but the link is there and it does work.

I have a coulpe of unrelated items that are scheduled for April 22 as well. April 22nd may be the default date they’re giving for things they don’t have in the warehouse or are deprioritizing for the “essentials” shipments.

One side-effect of everything going on is that several of the partners we use for different items has taken this time period to work on infrastructure updates (network side.) I can understand that, my company does the same thing in periods when our normal business work has a lull.

What this means, however, is that we sit in two major market datacenters with cloud exchange connections. Just within the last 3 weeks there have been various maintenance windows for the datacenters, and two of our cloud exchange partners that were impacting, but thankfully within windows that we were able to engineer business operation around. It’s been a relative annoyance during everything else we’ve had going on. I’m also assuming some of this on their end is due to the heavier strain on some of the network connections as traffic has shifted to different, mostly external, circuits.

Anyone else notice, webcams are out of stock, like almost everywhere.

Yep, I tried to get one to replace my 10+ year old Microsoft Lifecam. No luck.

I got my Logitech 922 webcam right before they all disappeared. From Best Buy, FWIW. But they were out of stock locally, and it came from goodness knows where.

Lulz.

Interesting discussion on the latest Probably Science podcast about the nature and mechanics of doing standup via Zoom.

Yah, I noticed the same thing. I keep my laptop in clamshell mode and need to video conference a few times a week. I just took a quick look at Amazon and they have one in stock, but the delivery date is from April 9 to April 22nd.

On 380 - Danny Jolles?

Yup.

Fuck Discourse.

I literally threw away a decent one in January in my cleaning/purging for moving. It was several years old, not really fancy, and I barely used it, but it would’ve been better than the built in camera on my laptop.

“When would I ever need this? I can just FaceTime my family if they ever want to video call.”

FaceTime is certainly nice on my phone and I’m thankful for that, but I miss that cam now that people really are setting up frequent group calls in zoom or google hangouts.

Zoom speaks:

It doesn’t really inspire confidence that the blog post is not by Yuan, but Stamos.

They had the world in their hands for a brief second and now they are bleeding customers like mad. Surely an example for future tech to use when deciding how important customer information is (despite a million other stories of just that.)

God I hope the university I work for drops them and goes back to webex. Though I’m sure Cisco are giant dicks, too, in their own special way.

Cisco is basically evil as well, but in a much less clownshoes more corporate way.

Speak COBOL? Need work?