Coronavirus 2019

First presumptive positive case here in Maine finally. (It has not yet been confirmed by the federal lab, but there’s no reason to think they find a difference result.) Woman in her 50’s from Auburn, about 20 miles north of me. She had just returned from Italy.

We don’t go to Auburn all that much, mostly drive through it when we head farther north to visit my parents. My parents have, on occasion, received medical care from the hospital in Lewiston where the woman was tested, but they haven’t been there since Christmas, so hopefully they’re still out of range.

I knew it would arrive here eventually. I know a lot of the medical facilities and government agencies have been preparing for this, because they too have been assuming it was a matter of when and not if. I’m cautiously optimistic that they’ve been trying their best to make appropriate preparations. And I’m extraordinarily relieved that LePage isn’t still governor during this pandemic.

These people at the very least deserve prison if not being put up against the wall

Why not both?

Dear Retailer, Theater, Restaurant, Community Location and a place I forgot I even visited.

Stop sending me e-mails about how well you intend to clean your buildings and counter-tops, doorknobs, or whatever the hell else you think needs a good scrubbing. I don’t actually believe you, and aslo… gross, you should’ve been cleaning that stuff before. Hotels, you cheaped out on your comforters for years, especially not believing you guys.

Washington State is nowhere near 100k estimated. How the hell did Ohio get that large so fast? Either it was circulating there earlier or they’ve got some crazy growth.

add one more to the like pile, sir.

Can I just mention how jealous I am of Taiwan’s response right now? I guess sometimes having a big brother IS a good thing.

COVID-19 occurred just before the Lunar New Year during which time millions of Chinese and Taiwanese were expected to travel for the holidays. Taiwan quickly mobilized and instituted specific approaches for case identification, containment, and resource allocation to protect the public health. Taiwan leveraged its national health insurance database and integrated it with its immigration and customs database to begin the creation of big data for analytics; it generated real-time alerts during a clinical visit based on travel history and clinical symptoms to aid case identification. It also used new technology, including QR code scanning and online reporting of travel history and health symptoms to classify travelers’ infectious risks based on flight origin and travel history in the past 14 days. Persons with low risk (no travel to level 3 alert areas) were sent a health declaration border pass via SMS (short message service) messaging to their phones for faster immigration clearance; those with higher risk (recent travel to level 3 alert areas) were quarantined at home and tracked through their mobile phone to ensure that they remained at home during the incubation period.

Don’t give Trump any ideas.

The 100,000 number was a gross guesstimate she made by noting that the virus was community acquired in Ohio, which she estimated meant at least 1% of Ohio’s 11 million residents are infected. Strikes me as a ludicrously contingent number, but IANAE.

Who would have thought that Trump didn’t want to spur testing efforts because he thought higher numbers would hurt his re-election chances?

Hey Trump how about a national health service to track all this? Terrible idea to give trump.

I meant more of King Trump, Dictator-For-Life before he passes the crown to Queen Ivanka.

Trump is so fucking condescending. He thinks everyone is as dumb as he is (with some evidence, see how he got elected). Don’t wear a mask, they don’t work (please don’t pounce Nesrie). We have tests for everyone! You get a test, you get a test, everyone gets a test!

Meanwhile, Merkel is honest, tells people a grim assessment. Even Boris Fucking Johnson says there’s plenty of cases that have not been diagnosed. We don’t tell people “we need the masks for the doctors and nurses”. We say they don’t work.

Also, it’s really worth looking at the specific dates and actions linked within the article.

Since I read the entire article, can you be more specific of what one should be looking at? Is it kinda weird to repeat the link I posed with "you should read the link? or is that just me?

Shenanigans across the pond?

There it is. I was wondering how long it would take for some slimeball to suggest it.

Not to rehash this discussion but I don’t understand how this is even under debate. The 3B1B video someone posted above breaks down the math extremely well. The two factors that contribute to rate of growth are the average number of people an infected person is exposed to each day and the probability of infection. Reducing the first of those has dramatic affects on the rate of growth. It’s the difference between exponential growth ending only when the population is saturated, which is what most of the world is currently experiencing, as opposed to a leveling off where the number of new infections is not higher each successive day.

As you point out, this common sense mathematical fact is borne out by countries that have controlled exposure. Anyone arguing against that is either ignorant or operating in bad faith.

Sorry. Actions on resource allocation, pages 4 - 5.

Arrgh, I’m having difficulty copying and pasting from the pdf using this tablet.

Also a $100,000 fine for fake news, “actions on communication” also page 5.

It’s a 6 page PDF listing travel bans, resource allocation, and communication. If you search upthread I had posted a link to the direct PDF, but I’m on a different device and it’s not cooperating.

Edit. I think this link to the direct download should work. My apologies for any confusion earlier.