Coronavirus 2019

Reading your post made me wonder what year of schooling I would have been OK missing out on had this happened back then. I think it would have been 7th grade for me. I just have dismal memories of Clarke Middle School on Alps Road. I didn’t particularly like many of my teachers and it was an awkward time in life. Also, there was construction to put in new air conditioners so half the year was spent in temporary classrooms set up in these mobile home type trailers out back, by the breezeway.

I skipped the 8th grade. The only problem I had was with Algebra. The 8th grade math probably would have helped me there.

I’m surprised I haven’t heard more talk here about the USS Theodore Roosevelt sailors who’ve been reinfected after having recovered. Whoosh go any thoughts of that granting total immunity.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate all that Pelosi has done for our country, and I’m not attacking how she looks…but I’ve never seen eyebrows like that before.

Are they true reinfections, or false negatives while still infected?

Or, whoosh go any thoughts that maybe you’ve been reading the science and data thread, where we’ve discussed. :)

We’ve had two separate studies, independent of one another in the last week that show that people who have recovered and tested negative may sometimes test positive later as they’re shedding “dead” viral remains. They’re not infectious during this shedding stage.

We’ve also had evidence piling up that human beings seem to be forming robust antibodies even from mild and asymptomatic cases of COVID-19.

And of course, there’s the whole matter of false positive and false negative testing.

To leap directly to “Well, guess there’s no immunity here” seems to be a massive leap to take.

BTW, here are the studies on how positive testing after being cleared as negative has been noted and what appears to be happening:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-19/covid-patients-testing-positive-after-recovery-aren-t-infectious

No idea. I just heard something on the news about it a couple of days ago. I would assume that their symptoms had gone away entirely and that they’d been retested before being allowed back on the carrier.

From a data standpoint, this is another thing to keep in mind at this point.

Worldwide, almost 5 million people have been diagnosed with COVID-19 since January. The reports of individuals testing positive again after testing negative following recovery are seeming to come almost anecdotally and in very individual cases, and appear to be getting captured by retesting methods.

With 5 million worldwide cases, if there wasn’t some form of at least short-term immunity for recovered COVID-19 patients, we’d be seeing real robust data on reinfections and illnesses. So far, knock wood, we are not.

You’re correct that I haven’t been following the science and data thread-- I’ll check that out.

As to the sailors, supposedly they were experiencing symptoms again onboard, and that’s why they were retested. But I’ll see what you’ve all written about that in the other thread.

It’s possible that a number of things would need to be investigated first. A couple of things that jump to mind:

1. Was the negative testing false negatives?
  2. Are they experiencing symptoms of some other complaint – colds, the flu – and when they were retested the PCR either registered a false positive or picked up on shedding of viral material?

It’s entirely within realms of possibility that they’ve become fully reinfected after making a full recovery. But that is down a list of possibilities that would need to be further investigated first. And if they did indeed become fully re-infected after making a full recovery, I can imagine that they’d turn into much-studied lab rats to figure out why and/or how that happened.

Where have I seen this guy before?

Oh yeah…

Ships are disease vectors. There’s the possibility of them having something causing similar symptoms, and being misdiagnosed/getting a false positive.

If they do have it- they are going to be lab rats for a bit- when you’re military you don’t have that much of a choice.

Trump’s old doctor always reminded me of this:

An anthropologist with a quite well-written commentary on the reaction of people to Covid-19.

In one of a number of revolts against colonial rule, in a corner of what is now Tanzania, the Maji Maji Rebellion sought to drive out German colonialists. The rebels were partly incited by a spirit medium who claimed to be possessed by a snake spirit and to have a “war medicine” that would turn German bullets into water. In one of the saddest and most surreal episodes in anti-colonial history, thousands of Africans who put their faith in this magic perished before German machine guns.

Sometimes magical thinking presents itself as explicitly magical, making reference to charms, spells, or miracles. But it often goes under disguise, miming the form of its seeming opposite by deploying the rhetoric of science.

And what should we make of the protests? If we are looking for a contemporary analogue to Maji Maji rebels running, confident but undefended, into a hail of German bullets, surely it is to be found in the protestors—flaunting weapons but not wearing masks, and pressed shoulder to shoulder with hundreds of strangers, often in states where infections are on the rise. And yet the protestors evince an aura of invincibility.

But the bitter truth is that, for all the wealth and technology the human race has accumulated, we are helpless before this tiny, invisible virus that is immune to our weaponry. Far from fulfilling our providential destiny, we are left playing coronavirus roulette.

If we are lucky, we are among those who will develop mild symptoms, or even no symptoms, rather than being killed by the virus. If we are lucky, we have jobs we can do from home. And if we are lucky, we live in countries—Iceland, Greece, Taiwan, New Zealand—with alert, competent leaders who acted swiftly to contain the virus and flatten the curve.

If we are less lucky, we live in countries with smug, indolent leaders who tell us that “it’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.” For some, magic may seem our best hope.

Yeah, I’ve been willing to risk the 25% restaurant capacity, since it’s less crowded than going to a grocery store.

But they really should’ve waited the 14 day “incubation period.”, checked the results, and only moved to 50% if there was not a surge.

I actually missed 10th grade without even really noticing it, when I moved to a country which started school at 4 instead of 5 like the US. They asked me my age, put me in with my age group, which was the equivalent of 11th grade instead of 10th.

This could be good news.

so much for my ‘Fannypacks to Fight Viruses’ promotional campaign

Yep, that was my thought when I saw the guy.

I did skip seventh grade and regret it to this day. Not because of educational outcomes, I was a smart kid and always got good grades, but because of socialization outcomes. I was a late year birthday anyway and one of the younger kids in my class BEFORE I skipped a grade. Hitting high school as an already socially-awkward nerdy kid who was also a year (almost two) younger basically meant I went four years of high school without socially connecting to any classmates as friends. I’m not throwing that out as a personal sob story, I did have friends. But I never really connected with anyone at my grade level and it made high school rough for a variety of reasons.

That’s definitely on my short list of “if I had it all to do over again, I wouldn’t do THAT” which is a list I imagine most people have.