Cory Doctorow: The Enshittification of platforms

Reddit is the worst for this.

On mobile, for sure- 'Reddit is Better on the APP!". No, Iā€™m not installing your crappy app. Occasionally, it even just kicks me out. But switching to Desktop Mode in Chrome just solves it. Why must they be this way?

Pinterest

Yeah, itā€™d be one thing is Reddit really was better on the app, but itā€™s so demonstrably not.

FYI, though: there is an option in the Reddit hamburger menu thatā€™ll turn off that ā€˜use the appā€™ notification forever.

Do you have to have an account to remember that setting?

reddit is better in an app, though. I like Apollo on iOS and Iā€™ve heard BaconReader is solid on Android. Hopefully reddit will never pull a twitter and kill third party access.

Err, yeah, probably.

Regarding that Barnes & Noble story that was posted up thread, this just popped up in my Google News feed, an interview with the B&N CEO who rebuilt the company. Itā€™s pretty long and in-depth, and provides both an audio version and a (lightly edited) written transcript.

Hereā€™s another article pointing out the enshittification happening at google, amazon & meta though they donā€™t really have any new insights that we havenā€™t covered here. It does summarize the situation nicely.

A really good companion read:

https://pluralistic.net/2023/04/08/late-stage-sea-monkeys/

Weā€™re all basically fucked, arenā€™t we? With the exception of those lucky few who were luckily at exactly the right place at the right time, with the right resources, to take full advantage of the opportunity that capitalism + Internet brought.

I maintain the Internet was great until everyoneā€™s parents got on it.

I remember those early days in the university computing lab. Nothing but UNIX machines and NeXT boxes. We played the shit out of Netrek on them.

Eh - the enshittified companies that dominate a niche wonā€™t last - theyā€™ll die. Then, briefly, non-shitty competitors will reign while they fight it out to replace them.

Well we arenā€™t immortal, so yes.

That requires non-shitty competitors.

Where is the data about the razor company coming from? Apologies if itā€™s obvious; I thought I clicked through all the links.

ā€œIn the long run, weā€™re all dead.ā€

Literally, it was AOL and Prodigy adding Internet access that ruined it for everyone.

Oh God, I thought I had managed to banish the memory of Prodigy forever. Curse you!