Counterfit currency?

I just got this weird $20 bill. It’s series G, 1985. It’s so old I can’t even google up what it’s supposed to look like.

Am I supposed to accept these bills? Were they supposed to be retired?

Another entry for the not-fit-for-Qt3 thread!

There’s nothing about this post, including the thread title, that doesn’t make me cry.

H.

I think this thread is counterfeit.

Well, I’m not joking. Every feature meant to identify genuine notes only refers to post-1990 security features. Since I didn’t even live in this country before that time, I’m not sure what the old bills are supposed to look like.

I guess I’ll go to the bank and wait for the SS to show up.

The ink on old US notes never totally dries, you can rub it against a white sheet of paper and check if some rubs off. Also you need to see small blue and red filaments in the paper itself. Rub the note between your fingers and you should feel the ink is slightly raised from the paper giving it some texture. Those all passed for security features pre 1990. Also you can get one of those reactive pens that you wipe across the note and it will change color. Just about every gas station in the US uses one on all notes larger than $20.

You should be fine.

Does it look similar to this (minus the weird terrorist stamp)?

You’re allowed to accept it.

Just spend it. If it turns out to be phony, it will be a feit-accompli.

So much for the guy who’s been keeping all his money in his mattress all his life.

He goes to pay for his new car and they say “I’m sorry sir . . . this money has been retired”.

Then he just goes to the bank and has old notes exchanged for the new ones and comes back giving the finger to the car dealership and goes to the one next door.

Also this thread needs more lolcat …

Retired bills are no bigs, inflation, though, is a bitch.