Crank calls

Alcohol, on the other hand…

If you play along, whoever it is will either come clean (if they know you) or get bored and stop (if they don’t).

So… pretend to be a chinese dry cleaner.

So if you’re prank called by a bunch of giggly girls and then start talking dirty to them and they turn out to be underage, will you get labeled as a sex offender? That would be like the ultimate in sweet injustice.

Great, now I have to fire extarbags again.

So Gary, you still have those giggly girls calling?..or was that a one night thing?

Roger, Roger, Roger. She said your NAME.

Come on, man. Pay child support for little Roger already. At least you get to insert it and squirt it!

I had a crank at night during E3 a few years ago. I’m guessing what happened is some kids in town had the manual for a game lying around and called information. I was listed, so they had no problems finding me. They called the house about half a dozen times between midnight and 2:00 a.m. and sounded pretty drunk. I ended up calling the police, who were fans of one of our games as it turned out. It didn’t inspire confidence that the police couldn’t find my house, though. :D

Unfortunately, they could only put a trap on the line for future calls. I never did get the idiots as my crazed ranting on the last call (before the police) scared them off. Threatening them was especially effective since they were too stupid/ignorant to block their caller ID beforehand. :D

I had another work-related caller out of the blue about 6 or 9 months ago. The guy repeatedly called my mobile (which was naively on my work voicemail at the time) and my house. He was demanding a free copy of a game because he lost his. I (finally?) went unlisted and changed my home number after that because he creeped out my wife. Our address was listed as well…

EDITED for clarification.

The exciting life of the (rich?) and famous.

I don’t know about the parenthetical but it definitely gives you a small taste of what real celebrities must put up with constantly.

Ouch, Gary’s not a real celebrity.

Dang, Islanti. I’m impressed, all i get is the occasional weird email, usually from someone in a foreign country whose name i can’t pronounce or find on a map, asking me for a full copy of my IGF student project, from like 3 years ago.

I’m having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of a prank caller pretending to be a Chinese dry cleaner. What’s the motivation? Were they telling you your clothes were done? Were they just sounding Chinese and making dry cleaner sounds in the background? What on earth does that previous question even mean? Where is “Chinese Dry Cleaner” on the list of prank call topics? I need to watch what I read on Mondays.

That’s why it threw me, it wasn’t funny at all.

There’s probably a joke in there about stiff pants and starch, but damned if I can fish it out this early on a Monday.

Ok. I’m glad I’m not the only one.

Wouldn’t it be funny if it was some teenager at the local Chinese dry cleaner who really did want to speak to you about an important business investment.

Like some kind of Chinese teenage mail order bride website thing?
Hey. it’s Whitta, and they knew him by name, so I’m just sayin’…

I keep getting these crank calls from people who want me to vote for them…

Real calls or Robocalls?

Lloyd, will you vote for me in the next poll?