Crazy Things My Father Believes To Be True

Radio hutu

Seven probably holds for most democracies, though not because of the Illuminati.

Regardless of ideaology, most governments tend to gravitate toward the center (what exactly is centrism differs from country to country and changes with the times). This is especially the case on the “big” issues (and they don’t come much bigger than the application of military force) - any government action will tend to try and establish a broad coalition behind their actions, which inevitably means that you get “Centrist” legislation, and very little difference between the acts of the right-wing or the left-wing.

The alternative is that you get a bunch of legislation which is immediately overturned when the balance of power changes.

Over the past 10 years, I’ve watched with amusement (and sometimes anger) as my partner’s mother has evolved into full on crazy. It started out with spiritualism, reiki and things like that. At this stage its angels, dragons, the illuminati and countless other crazy ideas.

Its pretty much like shes given up the ability to think for herself. If theres a half decent looking web page about something, she’ll believe it. And shes got a whole group of friends that are just the same.

Ban the internet I say! :-)

And a lot of that stuff is seeded there by ‘the man’ himself, to keep people ‘busy’ from seeing the reality. So yeah the internet, good and bad.

If in doubt, follow the money. It’s all about the money.

As parodies go, that’s a corker.

Indeed! Poor Telefrogs dad/{insert all our parents/friends/families} It’s a minefield out there, but…the money is the real key.

Yeah just replace “shadow government” with “a small group of wealthy scumbags” and I’ll believe it.

Heh, the UN can only dream of actually having that level of influence over global politics.

Exactly. If the ZOG really existed, I’d have a much better job.

rich powerful people doing shit to stay rich and powerful seems pretty sensible to me.

Of course, a time honoured tradition that can be a good way to progress the human experience, just as easily as it can be used to screw over a bunch of decent not-rich people. We fool ourselves when we don’t recognise this is ultimately what it is all about.

The good news is that by seeing the outcome of actions by the super rich, and the comparitive good vs evil they have in the world, the rest of us can make better calls on whom to give backing to, for when that part of the game counts.

‘Following the money’ can work in many aspects of our lives, from seeing that that nice new tech device you want is made in terrible working conditions in a factory in China, to the new clothes you want being made by children (that would otherwise be in school) in India, all the way up to finding out that the politician you were consdering voting for is getting funded by a hedgefund/entity that also makes it’s money on global landmine sales etc.

Money is not ‘evil’, how it gets used on the other hand, and what that might say about the people associated with that…well that is a different thing and where we can all make a difference. Knowledge is power etc.

My parents “liked” this on Facebook. Pic of George W, captioned by:

The National Debt, Unemployment and food stamp recipients have doubled since I left office. Click “LIKE” if you miss me yet.

headdesk

Must resist urge to get into family political fight…

I made the mistake of actually creating a Facebook page. The deluge of idiocy that came in just after I did it makes me wonder if I might just jump off of a bridge.

Of course I have to post it first.

Why have people gone so crazy? In the 1950’s crazy was over-eagerness of the Red Menace and the beginning of UFO fun. But the whole UFO thing was more lighthearted than what we see now. People were still nice to each other back then (unless you were gay or black). Now, nobody trusts anyone and it often feels like society has devolved into a poop pit.

Weren’t we supposed to have evolved into a Star Trek TNG society by now? Cause I want to live there where Jean Luc Picard is President and people actually work together.

The problem is alienation. The bases of social solidarity are crumbling, little or nothing is coming in to replace them, and there isn’t a clear understanding among people generally that this is what is happening. They’re aware that they feel bad, but don’t really understand why. So they develop models of what is wrong that actually take their alienation as a starting point and extrapolate that out into a way of life and a mode of political struggle which actually harms the very institutions which they most depend on for their psychological well-being.

Only true among those of lower income and education. At present the well-to-do are more traditional than ever.

People have always been crazy and they always will be. Things weren’t any less so in the past.

For ages unknown, mankind has lamented how much better society was “x” years ago. Greed, violence, insecurity, hate, etc has existed forever and will likely continue to exist. A quick look through history tells us it has always been this way, just in different context.

Not really a proper response, but the first thing that comes to mind: “more traditional than ever” is quite a funny turn of phrase. ;)

They’re radically traditional now. Or perhaps they are liberally conservative.

My grandparents, parents, and siblings are birthers. They consume Fox News so much that before the channel started rotating their bottom left-hand logo, it was perma-burned into my grandparents’ television screens. They also believe that Obama is a secret Muslim, and has some dark shadowy past that he’s hiding.