Current state of the art: Chromecast 2 vs. Amazon Fire Stick vs. Amazon FireTV?

Yeah, I got a bunch of those as gifts with that deal.

I need a dvr for over the air broadcasts. Anyone try the fire TV recast? I want the dvr functionality, plus the ability to stream Netflix and others, plus view home photos and video.

At first I was looking at a TiVo with life time service. Maybe fire TV plus a recast would be better? Other ideas?

Edit: thanks stusser for answer in other thread

You can get a TiVo bolt OTA with all-in plan for 400 today.

Yep, that’s what I’d do if I go TiVo. Thanks!

TiVo is by far the best DVR if money is no object, but be advised it’s a shitty streamer for Netflix, YouTube, etc. They never got their act together on streaming. Also you would need to pay near-$200 to extend the DVR to other TVs in your house.

FWIW, we have had Tivo devices for many, many years and love them to pieces. The big downsides are always price and dealing with cablecards (which doesn’t apply here). 400 is still spendy, but pretty great by TiVo standards.

Time to resurrect this thread. I’ve been a happy camper with all the TVs in my house on Roku the last couple of years but it’s time to change. Roku and Fox are quibbling over something and now Roku is going to force disable all the Fox streaming apps tomorrow whether people like it or not. This means no streaming the Super Bowl on my main 4k Roku smart TV. Well, I’m still going to do it but I have to hook up a laptop and fiddle around with streaming it through a browser. Regardless, Roku has lost my respect and my business as a streaming platform. If they are going to pull shenanigans like this then they are no better than a cable company and there’s some filth I won’t do business with.

What’s the best non-Roku option for streaming to a TV these days?

The best option is still a Roku and if you thought Roku plays too many games then wait until you check out Apple or Amazon’s slap fights.

FireTV is pretty darned good, and on sale right now. I think it’s like $35 for a 4K stick.

Counterpoint: Amazon’s menu is absolute garbage.

Agree that the Amazon UI sucks. I sideloaded an app called Appstarter to avoid it.

I like them both just fine but without side-loading on the FireTV, you don’t get Vudu or GooglePlay content… then again, you can sideload.

Everybody, their neighbor and their neighbor’s cat seems to have the Roku Premiere on sale for $29.99.

The only bummer is I believe the game is supposed to be 4K HDR in the Fox apps, and that’s not true for the NFL app. Of course, if it’s anything like the last time they tried to stream an NFL game in 4K, it will just be an upscaled 1080p video anyway…

But it sure is weird of Fox to get in a slap fight with Roku of all people. They aren’t a a cable of sat provider subject to carriage fees.

This is confirmed. It’ll be 1080p upscaled.

Yes, but HDR. Which probably makes a bigger difference than 4K.

Sadly, here in Canada the only online provider of the game, DAZN, to which I have a subscription, won’t be streaming in 4K or HDR so I won’t be able to enjoy the better colour. I’ll be lucky to get 720p.

Nvidia Shield TV is on sale at the moment. $130 on Amazon, $125 at B&H. Probably the best in terms of being the most powerful and versatile, but still expensive compared to Roku and Fire TV.

Good news for Roku owners

I loaded up the game in the Fox Sports app on Roku just now to check the quality and while it came up as an HDR signal, the quality sucked and the stream was a stuttering mess. Checked the NFL app and while the compression there was still pretty bad, at least it didn’t have to buffer every ten seconds.

No issues on AppleTV, though I don’t use HDR if that matters.