Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

I never noticed it was broken in that way. The Atlas key thing was inconsequential to the way I was playing, and it was fixed before it became an issue for me, and it’s also the only “game-breaking” bug I can recall. Sure, there were issues with texture streaming and whatnot, but those were not a big deal either.

But NMS had the advantage of being a new, unique thing, which made its faults less apparent. Cyberpunk 2077 is in a well established genre, which makes all its faults even more glaring. Seeing similar animals in NMS? A limitation of the technology, I get it. Seeing identical NPCs in Cyberpunk? Immersion breaking.

NMS was trying something completely new. That makes one more accepting of oversights and mistakes because, well, it’s a new thing. It’s unexplored space, and as such you must expect issues and limitations. Cyberpunk 2077 was supposed to be an evolution of something we already know well, with several celebrated games it could be compared to.

Cyberpunk 2077 and NMS have many things in common, though. The sheer ambition. The hype machine before release, including lies about the state of the game and what it could or could not do. The does-not-live-up-to-the-hype-at-all release.

Now the question is whether the post-release support will be as good for CP2077 as it was for NMS. Hello Games just sat in silence and let their work on the game speak more than words, the improvements they made, offered for free, serving as an apology and a statement of intent. They were set on making NMS the game they wanted it to be. And they’re still doing that to this day.

I can’t say the same of CDPR, though. The video shifts blame and avoids many raised issues, and their “plan” lacks any details on what they are fixing and why. But maybe their work on the game will speak for itself. We’ll see.