Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

It’s true the Cyberpunk rpg setting is pretty generic. It was like that in the tabletop RPG already. Hell, the title says it all, it’s just called ‘Cyberpunk’. It’s like calling a western RPG ‘Western 1800’. :P

However, this is a surprisingly barely explored setting in videogames, with the exception of Deus Ex (which never felt very punk-y) and a few short adventure games I guess?
90% of the cyberpunk games are just scifi games with the ‘cyber’ part (augs in Deus Ex, advanced hackers, super AI cliches, etc).
So it’s ok if it isn’t the most novel setting compared to the literature, because it is novel in the industry.

I liked the trailer well enough as a setting, but I am wondering why everyone lost their minds about a CGI trailer. It’s not a game you’re looking at, it’s a movie. Same with BG&E 2, though that seemed to engender a lot more skepticism.

It does say in engine footage, and there are some rendering errors in the trailer that imply it is true (NPCs disappearing). And it does look quite believable that it is made in engine with game assets. It does not seem fully CGI prerendered like the BGE2 trailer.

It doesn’t matter whether it’s in-engine, we were still watching cut scenes.

If you read the thoughtful Eurogamer piece, you’d realize it’s not a game or a movie we’re looking at, it’s a world.

Speaking of which, I wonder if the world will become more important now that they no longer have the strong characters of The Witcher to rely on. Of course they will write good characters, but now it might not be the main attraction.

Right, but that was not your original argument. To me there is a world of difference between CGI (game will never look like this) and in engine (game might actually look like this). Cutscenes will be a big part of the game like they were in TW3, and showing the world makes sense for the first trailer.

Unless specifically labeled a gameplay demo, aren’t almost all these early trailers just movies?

The thing that makes them interesting to me, at least this far away from release, is as a representation of the atmosphere or concept the devs are working towards. The CP 2077 gave me lots of that, I also appreciated quite a few glimpses of the source material, which I dabbled heavily in back in the nineties.

And here is something that made even naysayers like Rhamorim and Adrian Chmielarz happy :)

That’s actually pretty good.

Yup. That’s MILES better in so many ways.

Cyberpunk E3 thingy starting soon-ish.

I didn’t know this was going to be a thing. Link?

I’m looking for one. All I know is that they said they were going to do some sit-downs with CDPR folks…and the Cyberpunk twitter account just tweeted out that they were headed inside some place to talk about it.

I wonder if it will be a private affair for press only?

That’s what I was wondering too. I think Geoff Keighley is the moderator/interviewer/whatever, so it may be a small deal that will folks like Gamespot and IGN etc will tape and cut together to run.

Scraaaatch all that.

Looks like the CDPR folks are just heading in for private stuff at the moment.

Their thing with Keighley is much later on.

Gotcha. Thanks for the update!

Here we go. Instead of me bumbling around and guessing, here’s the actual schedule!

That’s so childish. Jesus.