Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

Drooling over the Chips N Bits list in the back of CGW with Johnny Wilson’s face in the editor’s note… ah, that takes me back. New Roland card required for this new hot game!

I hope you protected that investment.

That’s great I figured they were at least using SLI.

Hasn’t the 1080 been the top of the line card for a few years now? Have they stopped bothering to go higher since all the crypto miners have driven up the demand so much?

The 1080ti is a beefier card than the 1080, and later this year (?) Nvidia will be launching their Turing cards sometime…maybe autumn-ish? There have definitely be production delays, absolutely on the Turing card.

CPU and RAM is ok, I have the same, still powers most stuff at 60. But that GPU…am surprised it lasted you that long. I had gtx560ti in 2011, but since then already replaced it with radeon 280, gtx 970 and two years back gtx 1070.

In addition to what @triggercut said, AMD hasn’t given them a reason to do anything sooner. The first wave of Vega cards wasn’t a true threat. If memory serves, the two high end ones were pretty good although they still ran a lot hotter to get within striking distances.

I am due a new build this year (or whenever I feel like getting to it) myself.

Yeah, NVIDIA hasn’t had reason to really up the game, but they also sell out of everything they can make right now thanks to the miners. Unless something changes there, even a new card is going to be $1000 and no one will be buying them except for the miners anyway.

@kerzain 2011 is a long time ago. I’m still running a Core i7 860 with a GTX970 and its definitely viable, but that is no longer my primary game machine. I bought an Alienware 1.5 years ago and it was totally worth the price.

I know it was a long time ago. That’s why my primary gaming devices are now consoles. Too bad for me about that whole WiiU -> Switch and Xbox One -> S -> X bullshit.

Now I’m just hoping the real next gen starts about the same time Cyberpunk comes out.

Man I know my chip is old, but so far I’ve been able to escape having to upgrade.

But it’s a Yorkfield, so to play this is almost certainly need a new chip, which means I’d certainly need a new mobo.

But I built the PC in ‘09. Since then I’ve only really upgraded the graphics card. No complaints.

I think it will work out that way. This game isn’t shipping for current consoles IMO. I think they’re going to be there around a year after launch of the new Xbox and PlayStation. You should be safe.

@CraigM I’m still amazed that processors from 2009/2010 are so viable. That Core i7 I have is trucking along just fine and with the 970 it can still play almost anything very well. It’s a Dell and I had to replace a failed motherboard (which was super easy) and I’ve upgraded the video card and put in an SSD.

I prefer gaming on the newer Alienware, but the other box is still great. My kids use them to play League or Dark Souls together.

That’s a good run!

Helped by the games I play rarely pushing it too hard. Paradox and TBS games rarely demand the latest. My general antipathy towards the state of modern AAA gaming helps, since the most demanding games tend to be genres I hate.

That said I’ve hit the first instance of a game I want to play being almost unplayable. Deus Ex Mankind Divided runs, but at times poorly. I get into some of the environments, particularly right after loading the area, and it chugs. Sometimes down to 2-3 FPS for 5 seconds or so. Sometimes running at 15fps for 20-30 seconds as I run down the street. Generally only in the open areas of Prague, but still.

Even Witcher 3 ran no issues.

So Cyberpunk is probably marginal, at best, for me. I would not bet on it though. I guess it depends, maybe it’ll work. If specs compare to W3 I’ll probably try as is, if not I’ll be shopping chips.

Same here with my PC. I bought it at the end of '09, and spent less than $1000, so it was a mid-range PC even back then, and I’ve only upgraded the GPU since then. 3850->3850->5850->7950HD ATI was my upgrade path. (The first 3850 died 1 year and 2 days after buying the computer, so i replaced it with the same card).

Why would CDPR want to ship a game on platforms with a smaller install base? Seems to me that they would want to ship it right at the end of this gen to maximize the customer base.

I think one of the things pushing back the release of 2077 is that between and betwixt nature of when it comes out. I’ve seen some speculation that seems pretty spot on that CDPR may aim for a spring 2020 release on the game…with a holiday 2020 (or spring 2021) patch/upgrade for the next gen consoles.

I thought I read that CD Projekt was aiming for Cyberpunk to be “current gen”?

Yeah, here:

The next gen for both PlayStation and Xbox will almost certainly support backwards compatibility, so it makes sense to target current gen (lacking specific knowledge) and assume you’ll be playable on the next anyway.

Unless you’re getting a ton of money from a first party, it doesn’t make sense for third parties to make next-gen exclusive launch titles, given the tiny installed base.

I mean yeah, with how complete people said the demo was last week at e3, it seems like this is a 2019 release, and surely next gen consoles won’t be around til 2020 at the earliest.

Remember Witcher 3 played on the launch ps4 (2013) just fine, and if you have the rig you can beef that up to ungodly resolution eyecandy.

CD Projekt has been really good with scale-ability anyway.

My point was that I’d rather play it on a next gen machine. I don’t plan to upgrade to Xbox One X, and I don’t want to wait too long to play it at max on console.